1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stuck gears?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dirt digger, Sep 16, 2007.

1. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

This isn’t a truck but some of you might know what’s up. My buddy calls me and says he was at a red light and ground a gear trying to push it into 1st to take off (clutch in). Then he says he was having a really hard time getting it into any gear but third gear. He parked it and asked if I would take a look. My first thought when he was explaining this was maybe the slave cylinder, but when I looked at it today the thing wouldn’t come out of reverse when the clutch was in, and it wouldn’t shift either when the engine was shut off…so I know it’s not the slave. We rocked the car and when I was rocking the car he was able to get it out of gear but he couldn’t get it into any others unless I rocked it, except third, it went into third fine. Also when the car is in gear and you let off the clutch the car doesn’t move at all, it doesn’t budge, almost like the transmission is completely frozen…I told him to get it towed to a tranny shop…the car is a Mazda 626 I think, any ideas?

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I think the tranny is toast.

3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

thats what i figured...he is new to driving manual transmission...i let him drive my truck a day before this happened for some reason (i must have temporarily lost my mind)...anyway he tries to say its my fault because he was use to my truck which has a different sticking point for the clutch...i told him he was full of sh*t and he would never make it in my line of work where i might be driving 5 different manual trannys on any given day, oh well...he's getting it towed out to a shop in the next fews days so i'll be curious to see whats wrong

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Well some people never get the concept of driving a manual transmission. I have taught like 6 people to drive a manual. Two of them never caught on.
    He may of fried the main shaft, it may of stalled as he got it into first gear. My nephew fried his when the engine froze up. Try finding a Saturn SR2 H.O. engine & tranny.