1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stuck door

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by mud_man93, Mar 5, 2002.

1. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

I have an 88 dakota that i shut the passanger door on and now i can not get it open when you lift up on the handle it does nothing and when you try the locks it does nothing. does any have any advise for me.

2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

take off the interior door panel, and look around in there. either something is frozen up, or the lock/door handle mechanism is disconnected or broke.

3. dany

dany Member

Doug whats wrong with it now! How hard did you slam the door? Could the guts inside the door come loose? You need to take the door panel off to she whats going on inside. Napa should have the tool to free of the clips. Once the panel is off you should be able to open it by pulling on a piece of the linkage. Hopefully something just came loose.

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

the panel wont come off if the door is closed. You need to make a thin wedge and insert it between the panel and door skin (roll the indow down). This will spread the window channel far enough for you to use a coat hanger or similar hiomemade tool to release the door latch. Once you see down inside youll figure out what to do...

5. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

I was able to pull off the door panel but I could not get any of the
    latches to move. Is there any way to get the door to open?? or is there any way to pull out the latch

6. dany

dany Member

If you have the door panel off seeif you can take the door latch part apart. You might be able to pry on the latching mechanism tp move it up to free the door. If iam not around in the morning for school then ill come up in the afternoon to help ya out. Doctors appointment got moved to 10:30 so i might not be there in the morning.

7. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

Jamie

I tried to wiggle on the latch. I could not see any thing broken. and nothing that i moved opend the door what would i look for.

8. dany

dany Member

If you look at the drivers side door you will see a hook like shaped object and if you look on the cab the same height as the latch on the door you will see a little post that comes out. when you shut your door the post comes in contact with the hook shaped object on the door it self it moves the hook forward and the hook latches over the post holding your door shut. To see what actually happens you can push on the hook with a screwdriver (do not use your hand it could pince badly) and move it to the latched position. Now that you know how it works can manually pry up on the hook to get it around the post so it will open. You can also take vice grips and pull on the piece of linkage going to the latch. It will probally pull pretty hard and make sure you pull it the way the door handle would pull it. Are you going down ossipee with the mechanically sound:D dakota?

9. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

thanks for the help i will try to fix it but if all else fails i will take it to the shop no i am not putting the dakota in the burnout contest
    but maby the van and it is mechinally sound but the body is in bad shape

10. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Doug: Since your not a mechanic take the pass. side panel off so you can see how each of the rods moves as then you will be able to see whats not working. It's probably a clip that holds a rod to a lever that broke or fell off. :) ;) A few minutes of extra work will make it a whole lot easier to see & understand what's going on in the door. Plus you won't have to pay someone for something that will only cost a few $$ to repair yourself.