1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stuck cab bolt NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, Nov 2, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Im putting a body lift in my truck, and need to remove three bolts on both sides of the cab. I got the driver side bolts and the front one on the pasenger side loose, but the middle and back one on the pass. side got stuck and I ground off the head, and pulled out the pads between the cab and frame. I got a vise grips on the middle one and got it off. The back one wont move, the vise grips just spins. Ive sprayed it with PB Blaster and heated it but it wont budge. I know its not plowing related but my truck is now not driveable, and you guys all really know your stuff, so I figured Id ask, Im kinda in a real pickle here.
    The truck is a 1996 Chevy Cheyenne 2wd 2500.

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Just cut that bolt and jack cab to up then push bolt out it.

That what we did with 79 F150 and we put new bolts on it. It have body lift kit so I remove because I didn't like it.

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Its going up into the cab.

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

No bolt from cab to under frame?

5. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

Kev,

I've never had a look at cab mount bolts on your model truck so I don't know about clearances, etc.... But can you weld a nut onto the bolt to replace the bolt head and go at it again with a wrench?

6. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

It goes from the frame, up into the cab.

7. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I can but I dont have the stuff to do it.

8. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

How big is the bolt, like 1/2" or 5/8"? Can you grind two flat spots onto opposite sides of it and use an open- end wrench?

9. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

The head was a 15mm bolt, but the head was ground off, the shank that is left is only probably a 1/4" round. But that is a dood idea.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

thay had loc-tite on them factory and years of rust. since you have old body bushing out then heat the ever lovin piss out of the bolt till glowing red all the way up in the cab area. it will come out.

and the nut is captured in the floor and no way to pop up and out like the older trucks,

11. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Yep, nowhere for it to go up. I heated them up, but not that hot. Im using a soldering torch, will it give out that kinda heat?

12. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Not related to how to fix the problem... But why a lift in a 4x2 pickup? Whats the purpose

13. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Why lift a 4x4?

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

It looks COOOOL

15. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Alot of people do it for ground clearance reasons... or like has been said it looks cool

16. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Thats why Im doing it on this truck. I also may throw in 4x4 later on down the road.

Back on topic, any other suggestions?

17. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

There is no way a soldering torch will provide enough

heat to turn out that bolt. You need to use a real torch and it will come out no question.

18. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I dont have acsess to a real torch.

Any good heavy duty EZ out things out there.

19. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

If I was to heat it up to say almost red hot, would i still use the vise grips to turn it?

20. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

red-hot

visegrips

turn-it-out.

like-i-said-before