1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strongest auto trans.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Scott R, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Scott R

Scott R Member

Looking for your insight as to what are some of the strongest auto transmissions that are readly avalible. I've been plowing for 15 years with a standard and it's time to switch.

Thanks for you thoughts.
  2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

if your talking in a pickup i would have to go with the allison theres not much in her for reverse(speed) but otherwise there fairly stout.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have to agree, they are tough. Most transmission failures are from abuse. JMO
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd agree.. the Allison has the proven track record as the beefiest and most durable trans in the light trucks..I'd say the new Asian 6-speed in the new Dodges would be a relatively close second though..but only time will tell if they're as durable as the Allison..
  5. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Do trucks come with these transmissions? What trucks out (new or a couple years old) have the best tranny?
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Any '01-'06 GM 2500HD or 3500 with the Duramax or the 8.1 big block can be had with the Allison 5 or 6 speed (depending on year), and the '07-up 2500HD/3500's with the Duramax also..

The Asian 6-speeds can be had in the new Dodge 2500/3500's with the Cummins..

Looking at these two transmissions from a strength standpoint, I feel the Allison still has a lead over the Asian 6-speed but the Asians are a very well built trans also..
  7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Just helping clarify your last post B&B, Asian's are only in the newest dodges. Like 07-08 I believe. Maybe 06 but don't think so. I would hate to see somone go and buy the older dodge automatic trans and then be pissed because they were recommended bogus trans.

And the Allision is the all-mighty of automatic transmissions.
  8. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

I don't think 8.1 chevys are available with Allisons anymore.
    we've had quite a few electrical problems with them too on our trucks at work.

for older stuff, Dodge 727 Torquelfites and Ford C6 are both very rugged, but no OD
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's why I said "new Dodge" :)
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's because there are no more 8.1's in the light duty's in the new body...but any 2500HD, 3500 with the 8.1 will have the Allison in the 01-07 classic body style..
  11. dentino03

dentino03 Junior Member

I did three years as a trans tech at a large chevy dealer and there is no doubt in my mind on the durabilty of the allison. they are huge and made for medium duty trucks
  12. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I think it's been said but my only concern with the allison is the VERY slow reverse speed which could cost time on larger parking lots where your having to back up a distance or over reving the engine and causing damage somehow
  13. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Sun coast, ATS and DTT are all fine aftermarket rebuilders, so you could save money on a newer truck and invest it in a very stout rebuild, they are expensive but with proper service could be the last tranny you buy for that truck.
  14. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

I have heard good things about BTS and John Woods as well. Has anyone had any experience with these two? According to the FTE forums a BTS tranny is pretty much bullet proof (and John's trannys are about the same).