1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strobes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stovezbt, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Stovezbt

Stovezbt Junior Member

2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Whelen

Gotta love the Whelen system ( and im not just sayin it cause its a CT company) those lights are everywhere. Police, Fire, DOT, Contractors, Unfortunately even some guys on the road who dont belong with em flashing them causing troubles on the highways and city streets like they are police officers. But like i said Whelen is a company that gives the consumer bang for his buck

GOod Luck
    Jay

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i have a 90 watt strobe system installed in my truck. i have 4 amber strobes in each corner of the truck. they are super bright and im very happy with them. i also purchased a whelen slim lighter for the dash so when the plow is raised, there is still a strobe showing since the plow blocks the hiddens when raised.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I agree with Jay, Whelen has always been on the forefront of strobe technology.
    I'd be hesitant to use Hide-aways as a primary warning system, however, they offer only front and rear visibility. You're primary warning should be visible from 360 degrees, and the Hide-aways would serve as secondary warning. According to the ad, you should have 2 ports remaining for a single or pair of roof top strobes.

I'm not big on having a light show on my trucks, if you can be seen from all directions with one or two lights, what's the need for more? There are some self contained 360 strobe units that sell for much less than what you're looking at.

5. Stovezbt

Stovezbt Junior Member

That is very true about not wanting a light show. I wanted to go that extra step because it seems that everyone has lights on top around here. And because of that they seem to go unnoticed. Examples include everything from mailpeople, guy that puts out illegal signs on the weekend in the right of way for subdivisions, on tractors, you name it. We primarly are sub contractors and plow lots that are 24 hours or work late hrs because of different time zones, so it seems that for a majority of the night traffic is moderate. I would think that these people would be smart enough to leave, but no matter the amount of snow fall they are always there.

I also think that they will be useful on the farm moving equipment from farm to farm. Where as a light on top would be a magnet mount and wouldn't be there all the time, these would be there when needed.

Thanks for the replies

later:D

6. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

hey,
    I have a 4 outlet 90 watt power supply. with 4 clear hise away strobe. very bright. they are prob more noticable than a halogan lightbar! on my truck they are. they are brighter than my mx7000.
    if you get a 60 watt power supply with 60 outlets. dont expect to be noticed in the day! go to www.sirennet.com and you should find a good deal. get some nice hideawy strobes, and a whelen super strobe that will give 360 degree warning. also, jay,
    the slim lighters are nice, but are kinda old. have you considered
    a whelen dashmiser led or led-X, predador or even the federal signal cudas? where did you buy your slim lighter at and how long have you had it for? just wondering? thanks!

ultimate lawns and more

7. mdb landscaping

it was me who said i had the slimlighter. i dont think they are that old. if im not mistaken they only came out a year ago? i paid $175 for mine from the strobe guy on ebay. very bright, and has like 30 flash patterns.

8. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

hey,
    sorry mdb landscaping. just got a little confussed for a seconed.
    well, i dont mean to be rood or eneything, but with all this led technology. the led-X'es only have 16 little led bulbs in them and are way brighter than the led slimlighters. and the slimlighter came out about 3 years ago. i dont wanna be rude. you prob bought the slimlighter a while ago eneyway. all these other led lights came out about 4-5 months ago. thanks
    ultimate lawns and more,

9. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I use the 10" Grote rotating Beacons on my rigs. The same ones that Cal Trans uses on their plows. They run approx. $100.00 and I figure that if I'm in an accident they will be hard pressed to say I did not have proper warning lights.

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I went with an 8 strobe light bar with corner stobes front and back .You can never have enough lights;)

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

timm9,
    It's my understanding you have some fairly unique laws regarding warning lights out there on the left coast. Can you enlighten us a bit?

12. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Well I guess I'm the oddball

Just 1 Strobe Beacon is all I want & have ever used ( back in the old days it was a revolving beacon light). I don't like all the extra lights as it is distracting. 28 yrs. of plowing & never had someone say they couldn't see me but have seen 2 guys hit each other in a large lot as they were blinded by each others 8 & 10 strobe lights :eek: :eek: . Of course they blamed each other for blinding them as it was the others fault.:rolleyes: So I say too many lights are not the best idea when plowing or driving down the road.

13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well i have been hit in a parking lot and the guy in the car said the he could not see my 8 strobe light bar that is what made me get the corner units so I have lower visualls.

14. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

lights

rotators use more power. Strobes use less but bulbs are more expensive. One of my trucks have strobes and the other has rotators. So I have the best of both worlds. Personally I don't like the hide aways. Really not that visible unless you have 5 million on the truck.

4inshop.jpg

15. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well my hida ways are pretty bright 90 watt power supply with them set on high power not low they can be seen .

16. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Cat if the jerk hit you with 8 strobes on

I don't think it would have mattered if you had 50 strobes on ;) he wasn't even on the same planet. He was in his own little world :rolleyes: . And too think he had the balls to say he couldn't see you :nono: . I think I would have had to beat some sight in to him ;) .

17. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

oh belive me i would like to off ,he had the nerve to say i hit him,well my truck hit him i was the backhoe.I know with that many strobes my truck is really hard to miss plus in one corner i have a clear one.

18. mdb landscaping

i have the 90 watt power supply with the 4 hiddens, and they are bright as can be. if somebody were to hit me, and say they didnt see me, that would be crazy. Sure its bright, and maybe annoys some of you, but i think its great. i dont have to change the looks of my truck and it serves the purpose so people dont hit you.

19. dave-man

dave-man Junior Member

I ordered one of the hide-away strobe kits Stovezbt started this thread asking about. My plan is to put hide-aways in the tail-lights and front markers of my '00 F250SD. That leaves me two more outlets on the power supply. I have been thinking of converting two of the roof top marker lights to strobes. Any thoughts or reactions?

I do plan to have a pole-mounted self-contained strobe as well, but it will have to be readily removable so I can get into the parking garage at work. The roof lights clear the concrete beams by 1-1/2". The paint is scraped off the top six inches of the radio antenna.

20. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have not installed them in clearance lights myself but I have seen it done. It is effective. However when talking to the Whelen rep last year they said that it may heat up and cause the lenses to melt. Just some info.