1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobes

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2FAST4U, Jun 29, 2007.

1. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Senior Member

Hi guys I'm a litte new to the hole snow removal thing, and I keep a few of my lawn clients on in the winter for snow removal and just got my new truck so I was thinking of adding strobes to it this summer. Any help on brands, color, # of strobes would be great.

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

How's it going? Welcome to Plowsite! Some people will tell you to load up your truck with the most ridiculous amount of strobes, but simple is often just as good. Your very first concern should be front & rear corners (more to the rear). An alternating flash in the rear backup & brake lights can be a very good combination, and then you can do something in either the headlights or front directionals (or both), but realize that it's more of the front corners that are visible with plowing than the actual headlights. Yellow in the clear backup lights work well, and running clear flash bulbs in your brake lights will obviously flash red because of the red lense (therefore making it redundant if you bought red bulbs to put into a red lense -- cuts down your brightness). Yellow or clear in the front will also give some brilliance, and that's what you're looking for. As for brands, others here will be able to help you with that. Be sure to get a strong enough power supply (again, people here are great with that). Pickups have so much room to run wires & drill for strobe bulbs, so doing your own work might be in the realm of possibilities too (and people on PS have given great written tutorials on doing that). Best of luck!

~Kevin

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: lol:waving:

2fast4u, Welcome to PS:drinkup:

All I use is a duel rotator on the roofs of all our trucks. Color AMBER.

You might want to take a look at your local & state laws regarding running (warning)flashing lights on Private snow plows and when you can have them on.

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite 2fast4u
    In Michigan you can only run yellow or amber strobe's. On my roof I like LEDS, the other thing I do is run Whellen's 90 watt 6 head strobe's on my truck. 2 in the front headlights and 4 in the taillights. I plow along a major road here in Waterford and I want to be seen.

Regards Mike

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Yes they are Snowfarmer, but the locals don't mess with you about them as long as you use some common sense. I have even forget to turn them off between lots and the locals don't even give you a second look.

Regards Mike

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/TSS_Field_Update_2_172701_7.pdf
    MI law,
    Sec. 698.
    (3) Backing lights of red, amber, or white may be mounted on the rear of a motor vehicle if the switch controlling the light is so arranged that the light may be turned on only if the vehicle is in reverse gear. The backing lights when unlighted shall be covered or otherwise arranged so as not to reflect objectionable glare in the eyes of a driver of a vehicle approaching from the rear.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have clear strobes in the tail lamps and front turn signals. Also run a dual strobe bar on the roof. I have a 90W Whelen Power Supply.

9. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

Where do these strobes go? In the socket (existing) or just rest inside the housing? I am curious and thinking of getting my truck more visible for the same reason, backin out into MAJOR roads. Got any pics Mike

10. MI law

I was suprised to findout that michigan doesnt REQUIRE caution lights
    for private/commercial plows. (they) permit amber lights.

State law requires county/municipal/state trucks to have amber --but not (small) trucks.

I even e-chatted with a member of the state police. I asked why (lights) are not
    REQUIRED on such vehicles that back out of driveways--while plowing.
    He said (we) shouldnt be backing into streets. End of conversation.

I mounted 2 -$40 strobes high and the rear of my Bronco so that they are visible
    --while backing into streets/roads.

I dont worry about the front-- except my ability to SEE.

tc

11. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Like i said b4 the more the merrier. ~.^

12. screamskiier

screamskiier Junior Member

strobes leds

i have a 6 head whelen 90 watt power supply kit. i have strobes in my rear backup and brake lights as well as my fog lights although the ones in the fog lights are of no use when plowing. i also have 2 led grill lights, a whelen dual talon and an led lightbar with directional arrow in the back. dash light and strobes are is your best bet. the strobes however are best in clear and the color ones are very faded color. a dark bright blue from an led will be a sky blue in a strobe. if you are running both at the same time for example, a blue led dash light and blue strobes the strobes appear to be white. whelen though has come out with led heads that serve the same purpose as a strobe light head. some great sites to check out for lighting are
    http://www.lshlights.net/AMAZING/

http://www.speedtechlights.com/

http://www.uniformswarehouse.com/prostores/servlet/-strse-Lightbars/Categories

13. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

WOW Uniformwarehouse has sick low prices on bars etc.:dizzy::eek:purplebou

14. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

The uniforms warehouse bars are cheap because they are low quailty China knock off bars....junk.....you get what you pay for.

15. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

I am surprised at that as they seem to service mostly law enforcement.. Granted they aren't whelen or federal etc but...

16. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I just bought a whelen 360 super LED which is nice. While there, I was talking to the fire chief from a local town and for you NH guys, they will be cracking down on colors, placement etc of warning lights this year. A permit will be required for all aux lights and they will have to meet some criteria. Another way for NH to tax I guess, and crack down on certain installations.

17. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I have a 90 watt Whelen power supply with two remote heads mounted on my back rack. I would like to put a couple tail lights in as well. But this is good for now. Whelen is the only brand to go with. Very high quality. Not to cheap though. But again, you get what you pay for. I also liked how when I had a problem installing them I called the factory and talked right to the person who designs them. Great support as well.

18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Check with your local and state PD's for the laws for your state (or refer to Snofarmer's link). It doesn;t matter if your locals will not bother you about hide-aways or not. They're illegal and you are subject to a fine reguardless of the cool factor. We have the same essential laws here in MA but many tow trucks have them as well as plow guys. Just a matter of time until the DOT decides to nail them.

You want enough lights to warn other drivers, but not so many as to blind traffic or annoy others, like your customers or their neighbors. Use some common sense based on your particular route and vehicle. More is not always better.

I run a Federal signal twin rotator bar on the roof for high vis situations (blizzard, rush hour, high traffic roads, etc) and a single FS strobe on the roof in front of it for low vis needs, like 3am plowing runs.

I need to add some additional warning to the rear because I have one drive that is a blind back out onto a busy road and I will likely add surface mount strobes to the bumper corners as flashing red (strobes in the tail lights) are illegal in MA.