1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strobes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by midnightsun13, Nov 26, 2006.

?

front end strobes

1. headlights

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. markers

26 vote(s)
    78.8%
  1. midnightsun13

midnightsun13 Junior Member

i have a 1990 k1500 with composite headlights and i can get hide-a-ways installed for under $125.00 im gonna do them in my backup lights in the back but my question is should i do them in theheadlights or the marker's up front? i think having them in the headlights may be annoying while plowing at night........tell me what you guys think

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Definetaly in the turn signals....if they are installed in there then you get front and side warning vs. just out the front. Just my 0.02:)

3. midnightsun13

nah i have a seperate light for the side

4. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

What kind of strobes are they. I would think they would charge that just for the install, nevermind the system.

5. midnightsun13

well it was gonna be 125 for the system and the install combined....but i already have a box out of an ex-police tahoe......and its getting installed through connections in the police department at the price that the police department would pay

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

In most states (read: ALL) strobes in your headlights are illegal regardless of color, place being used or activity being performed.

I mounted mine in the turnsignals like this:
    [​IMG]

7. CURLERIC

CURLERIC Member
    from NY

Strobe Melt

Hi,
    I Was Lookin Into 90 Watt Strobe Set Up & Saw In Whelan's Install Info That Strobe Power Supplies In Excess Of 10 Watts Per Outlet May Cause Composite Housings To Melt. I Was Going To Go With Higher Output For Visbility But Their Tech Support Advised That Split 4 Ways @ 22.5 Watts Per Outlet I Would Likely Have Meltdown. Anyone Melt Any Housings? How Are The 60 Watt Set Ups ? Anyone Melt Housings @ 15 Watts?
    Tnx 4 Wisdom,
    Rich

8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I've been running mine for about 2 years or so at 15W per head without any kind of heat issues. They're pretty damn bright too! :drinkup:

9. profire73

profire73 Member

I can say that I have use many strobes in composite lights and never melted them and I ran them up to there max 30watts. Whelen puts that warning out to Cover themselves and most companies do. I guess it is from all there testing they have done on them and if there is the slightest possibilty of this happening that is what they go by.

Right now I have 4 strobes installed in my Suburban headlights and they are hooked up to a 120 watt power supply. They have been there for years with no issues. Just be cautious of your mounting locations.

Just my 2 cents.

10. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I was going to run Hide-a-ways at 30 watts each but my plow dealer told me that they'd burn up. He said the max is really around 23.5 watts per head. I don't know if I believe him.

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

What reason has he given you to not believe him?

12. midnightsun13

when you guys mounted your strobes....does the box have only one wire per strobe or 2? my buddy says the boxes we are using has 12 outlets....but if theres 2 wires per strobe this may mean i can run 6 lights......if its one wire...i can make this thing a christmas tree lol

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Each tube requires 3 wires, but only one "plug" on the power supply.

14. Fergy42286

Fergy42286 Member

I actually have 4 hide-a-ways up front(one headlight and one turn each side) running on a 90 watt power supply. no melt down yet.

15. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

help

I just got a new 07 f550 xlt dump and i want a strobe system.
    I do not know what i want so im open to suggestions
    also it comes with upfitter switches so do i need a powerpack for the lights? anyone with an idea let me know pics are welcome
    also im not an idiot when it comes to trucks but is this something a rookie can do?

16. profire73

profire73 Member

pats plowing, I am not sure what the switches are you are talking about but I am sure you will need a complete kit. I am assuming that the switches are just 12v power?

As far as the install, piece of cake if you have the slightest clue about wires. A couple of holes and running some cables, power and ground and you should be in business. There are a couple of more wires involved but not a big deal.

Any questions you need answered about installing them you are in the right place.

17. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Well, I have heard so many people say that they run 30 watts to each of their bulbs without a problem, so I'm guessing he just said to stay under 23.5 watts in order to prevent excessive heat in a small tailight housing.

18. midnightsun13

looks like markers are gonna be the way to go

19. J29

J29 Senior Member

Hey Antnee 77,
    I'm just wondering who your plow dealer is. I know you run a Fisher so I'm assuming its either Buckys or Dejana. Just curious. Also, when I went to the Whelen factory in CT. many years ago to have my hide-a-ways installed, they wouldnt put them in my reverse lights of my super duty. They said they would melt them. I run a 60 watt 6 head system, so that would have only been 10 watts per head. I wasnt sure if they were just being lazy or not. I have been running four lights, 2 in the brake lights and 2 in the front turn signals without any heat related problems whatsoever for the past five years. Also, pats plowing, the upfitter switches just mean you wont need a control panel. You can hook the power supply into them instead of buying something extra. J.