1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobes worked great! till it rained.

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 02powerstroke, Jan 28, 2009.

1. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I put all my strobes in last night and it worked great till I drove around in the slush and rain and all four heads took a dump. The pack has power and trys to flash but nothing happends. any ideas???

2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

several different things. Grounds for your strobe heads, You didn't seal your connections and they've got junk in them or... Your plugs going into your pwr supply aren't tight!

3. 02powerstroke

How do I ground the heads? I thought the black center wire was the ground? and yeah I think it might be the plugs because I used a 5ft extentions on the back by the taillights on all 4 wires so thats prob it. should I take em off and put dilectrical grease in them?

4. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Die Electric Grease on the contacts, but put some silcone sealer or something that won't let water/junk into the connection.

Grounding should take place when you wire up to your pwr supply but with you stating that you put a 4' extention on... Your problem might be with the wires in the extention. Put an OHM meter on each wire to see if you get the pwr completely. Some after market wires have really super cheap wires and plugs.

5. 02powerstroke

Its a whelen cable, I need to just get a 25ft cable set and rerun them it should still work thow its just add that all 4 went out no just one or two

6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Oh you didn't mention that... You need to check the pwr out from the pwr unit. You may have a bad one. Couple of things you can do...Unhook all but one of the strobe wires at the pwr unit. Turn it on. Do same with all the outlets. If nothing you may have a bad supply or just the ground or even the fuse that's on the top of the strobe pack.

I'm about 70% sure that you may have a bad supply at this point. Where do you have the supply mounted? If it's exposed to weather or has no air flow that could be your problem.

Good luck with it.

7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Just a thought but when 1 of my heads wire goes bad the whole system is out. Try unpluggin all 4 heads at the power supply. Then try plugging them in 1 at a time. You may be able to find which wire/head is bad if as stated above the power pack is not bad.

8. 02powerstroke

I doubt its bad it workerd perfect last night, it mounted high and dry under my drivers seat very low hours on it. I bet what you said about the cables connections being bad is right. whats the point of the wire thats just sticks out of the cable thats uncoated.

9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

If it's like a metal wire its to make it easier to open up more of the outer jacket so you can spread the red, white, black wires further apart. Not sure why you would want to.

10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Have you tried what I suggested about pulling all 4 stobe head cables out? Once you do this you can figure out which cable has the bad connection.

11. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

this may sound like a pain but take out your strobe heads and plug the strobe heads directly in the the power pack and do all the heads in all the outlets

12. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I had the same issue, you can hear the power supply try but no flash. the plugs going to the heads are NOT WATERROOF. I found this out the hard way. All external connections must be thoroughly be wrapped in electrical tape or something of the like. Whelen does offer waterproof plugs but this works just fine. I wrapped mine 3 years ago and have had no problems since. good luck!

13. 02powerstroke

Thats what it was, they dryed out and work fine now so I need to tape it or shrink tube it.

14. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

mine are all shrink warpped up nice
    i had a bulb go bad and it shut down my whole system yesterday
    really annoying trying to figure it out

15. ColliganLands

not sure if you fixed yours yet or not
    but i found mine had got some water inside the connections and shorted it out causing the system to fail
    the connectors were all brown like it had been sparking lucky i didnt have a fire

16. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

Do you guys use grease inside the connectors?

17. ColliganLands

mine were sealed with shrink wrap
    now theyre filled with grease

18. 02powerstroke

I took one of the plugs out and just butt connected the wires and shrink wraped them and I used silicon on the plugs at the bulbs