1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobes Vs. Siren Style Lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Precision1, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Precision1

Precision1 Junior Member

I'm new to plowing and i'm wondering which style you guys like better and why? Color preferences also?

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Umm, a siren is an audible device. Check your local laws to find out what color is authorized in your area. I wouldn't spend a fortune on snazzy lights when you're new, just get something to protect you. A simple $20 rotator or a $50 single strobe is good enough. Once you start making money then it's okay to waste ridiculous amounts of money on way too many lights that are totally unnecessary and counterproductive. Like most of us idiots do. I still feel like a single construction warning type light is sufficient, so my only justification for having a 12 head Whelen comet flash strobe bar is because I like it. I actually shut the fronts off and use the dimmer, and it's still to much most of the time. But it's cool and fun.
  3. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

One thing also...You need to make sure the light you get is visible. Go with a Halogen Rotator light to start. Then work your way up to LED's/Strobes and stuff like that.

Shop around, ask questions on here. There's so much knowledge on here it will make you puke.

Good luck with your endevor! :cool:
  4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I like the amber sirens

The red and blue sirens are just bad bad news!
  5. Detroitdan

that's a fact. I puke all the time.
  6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Hide a way strobes are good because they dont change the look of the truck, and are visible if you are backin into a main road or something like that.
  7. Detroitdan

how can I attach that quote so it's in a box like other people do?
  8. Truck_Stuff

Truck_Stuff Inactive
    from NJ

9. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I have NEVER seen an Amber Siren!!! Guys we're not looking at sirens we're look'n at LIGHTS! Siren's are LOUD like when you can hear a cop from a mile away when your inside your house drinking a cold one! Lights are what you see. Like in your rearview mirror when they pull you over!
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Quote it, copy and paste it to your sig line just as is--including the brackets, the word quote, etc.

Stroker, I prefer the white sirens. Way better than amber. But purple is pretty.
  11. Detroitdan

thanks Mark O, I was missing one step. Now thats how I wanted it to look. I've been waiting for years for just the right quote. And all this time I thought it would come from Bri or Snofarmer!
  12. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I thought the green sirens were nice.:)
  13. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

ya like the code 3 275 series beacon wicked bright i have one ill sell ya
  14. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

keep strobes to a minimum, they really can confuse and blind other drivers, the good'ole fashion rotating yellow is what people are "trained" to respond to pull out in front of you:D
  15. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

Amber is the color all the way I run a Code 3. It's very bright, although the first time I switched it on I thought it was trying to chew through the friggin roof. Man the motors are loud on them. I put a piece of clear packaging tape on each magnet and no scratchy scratchy.
  16. Precision1

Precision1 Junior Member

Cool Thanks Grass Master for the good advice. Do you use the strobe or the spining light?
  17. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

My code 3 is the spinning type.
  18. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 small orange strobes on the back rack of my truck. They work good.
  19. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

I just got a WOLO like the one pictured above. Paided 18.95 shipped. 108 leds 10 patterns. Magnetic mount and coiled cord. Works great for what it is. Don't think it will make blind people see however on low speed lightly traveled roads would be great starter light.

J & B
  20. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

he's not lieing...here i go again...