1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobes or rotators

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bad Luck, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Roof mounted, what do you guys prefer?

2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Lot of people seem to prefer rotators but i prefer Strobes.The rotators have a big amp draw and I'm already using enough juice.I have a quad flash strobe on my roof and i think it works fine. Ill be adding some Led's to the rear soon.

3. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I prefer rotators. I get too much flash back with strobes. It bothers my eyes at night.

I am running a Whelen Guardian 2 rotor mini bar. It is pretty low amp draw for a rotator. Most rotators now are 1 bulb per rotor with a stationary bulb and only the mirror spins. This helps with the electrical load.

4. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Roators seem to bother my eyes, and clear strobes, I have a fully strobe bar and strobes are the way to go unless you can afford leds.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I like the rotators, for a couple of reasons. 1. strobes can be hard to see in the day light. 2. You can here the capacitor in the strobe charge and discharge over your radio equipment 3. price, rotators are cheaper 4. strobes can be distracting to the driver in tight places when it's snowing. 5. duel rotators have two bulbs, one still works if the other burns out.

------------------
    74, Dodge snoComander
    98, Dodge 2500, boss V
    01, Dodge 2500, hiniker
    68, Dodge Charger R/T 440, just for fun!!!

6. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Hey Bad Luck,
    I picked up an Ecco single rotator at my local Champion Auto Parts for $70. It's a magnetic mount but also has a suction cup type bottom to it that will help prevent scratching as well. Nice long cord so I can run it thru my back door, down to the floor and bring it up thru my center console then plug it in. Cord is pretty much out of sight and not dangling around.

Buck

7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

All very good points too. I preffer rotators as well because they make a bigger "statement" in traffic day or night when used with a couple of bulbs and prism mirrors too in unit.

8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Rotators seem to light up arounf corners of buildings and that type of thing better IMO and have a bit better day light power but the main reason I run em is that stobes drive me nuts in heavy snow. I have both in my light bar and turn of the stobes when it starts flying. Strobes are nice from an amp draw standpoint though. rotators suck some juice. I run a big V, an amp for my stereo, aux back up lights, heater, radio, comunication radio, headlights, light bar that draws enough voltage to weld with, ect and I dont have a problem with having enough power. dual batts and a single 140 amp IIRC alternator.

9. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I like the rotators allot more. with the dual rotars I think you get a lot more flash that is more visible. Just sent away for a permanent mount mini light bar from Great plains Manufacturers and distributors (GPCatalog.com). I am new don't know what you all use but never the less if you have not checked this out it might be worth it.

just what i think, please don't kill me

10. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I like the strobes. Anywhere you can put them. Any color. I don't have any defense for them, I don't sell them, I just use them & like them! :waving:

11. Mikelandscaping

Mikelandscaping Senior Member

I use a straight bar light and i have 2 small lights in the front because i plow commercial and some people dont see me so i use those i would prefer the straight bar light cause its not as annoying to some people if you know what i mean.

12. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I went thru 2 $60.00 magnetic rotors from the local "will fit store" in one winter. After that I bought a dual strobe. I really like it just because there are no moving parts to freeze up. I get distracted from either the rotor or the strobe so it doesn't matter to me. I wired mine into a switch in the cab along with backup lights and trapizoid lights facing forward off my headache rack. I'm afraid the next step is a dual alternator set up.

13. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I love my strobes . They save on power and are great looking . I have a full size light bar with 8 strobes , 4 l.e.d.s. , side lights and front work lights. The light bar itself is only an 1 1/2" tall. Everybody around here loves this thing , my truck is dark green and looks like the forrest preserve trucks around here, so alot of cops just wave at me.. Butt when the snow is flyin they can get a little annoying while driving...

14. Tarkus

This is one of the reasons I do not like them and they can create RFI and I use 2 way radio equipment too.

15. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I was looking to maybe buy one of the led mini light bars. sounds like they are really nice allot of them come with 5 year warranty's or 100,000 hours. low power needs and sound indestructible. i will have to look in to them.

16. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Saw this in my Galls book the other day and cought my eye. Its LED but looks like a normal strobe beacon you would put on your roof.The lens is clear but goes to amber when you turn it on.

Code 3® Quantum Flash LED Beacon
    Utilizes six ultra-bright Gen III amber LEDs, and the clear lens enhances the signal!
    Draws 1/2 amp
    12-24V DC
    Multiple flash patterns

http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=RL006&cat=253

17. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I can say that my lightbar doesnt create any rfi noise. My nextell makes more noise in my stereo and two way ..frustrating... butt it is also a high quality light bar not just a couple of low price strobes...

18. Tarkus

I just saw some of them recently at a trade show a few weeks ago for about 90 bucks. They looked promising. LED's have come a long way.

19. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

You know I saw something like that on Ebay, it was a mini LED light bar, ran about 250.00 I think?

I'm used to both strobe bars and rotators because all of our wreckers and beds have them, my eyes do go a little :dizzy: when I'm walking back to the truck and light are one though...especialy if one of those alley wig wags beam you in the cornea!!!

20. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I love my vista lightbar. You can do so much with it. it has 5 fast speed rotators, 2 front alternating flashers, 2 corner intersecting lights, 4 front spot lights and 2 side spot lights. I can limit my warning when needed. When im in a traffic situation I will have 4 of the rotators going and intersecting lights going. When its not that much of a traffic situation I have just the center rotator 2 front flashers and Rear leds on the back of the dump going. If I had every light goig on the lightbar it equally out to 51 amps. But I NEVER have every single light going at once. Usually 15 amps at max! On my dodge I have a whelen mini edge strobe bar. I dont mind either. They both have their positives and negatives. Strobes are much more atteiong getting at night though. But rotators do the job just as well. I prefer rotators.