1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strobes or LED for the rear of truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by flykelley, Jan 10, 2004.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Dear Group

I would like to install either strobes or LED lights in the turn signal part of my taillight assy.That part is yellow,so I have been told to do this I have to drill a one inch hole to accept the strobe head,a switch and power pack. Does this sound right.

Also do LED lights come in a flasher mode like strobes? Which is better and brighter? This is on a 2001 3/4 HD Chev.

Any input or info would be great. I want to be seen when I am out plowing,also is there a brighter bulb to replace the backup lights from the factory? Maybe a strobe bulb that plugs into the factory socket? Sure is alot to learn and think about.

Regards Mike

2. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

yes the hole you will drill is 1 inch but read the directions they will tell you for sure.dont know about the leds.

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I prefer strobes to LED's. I believe they are easier to see in the daylight. Others may differ from my opinion. All of the local cops are going to LED's for their light bar. I also think it will be easier and more 'stealthy' to mount strobes in the tail lights. I don't think they make LED's to mount in the turn signal. If they do, will they be bright enough? If you do decide on strobes, takes lots of pics on the install and post them in the pictures forum. Keep us posted on your findings.

4. graylawn1

graylawn1 Junior Member

LED IS THE WAY TO GO I HAVE A 360 STAR ON TOP OF TRUCKS .04 AMPS CAN SEE FOR MILES DAY OR NIGHT.

5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I prefer LED they are extremly bright.However, im not sure if you can mount them in your turn signal like you can with strobe heads.We have led's on the new fire trucks and they are awsome.

6. graylawn1

graylawn1 Junior Member

AM A DEL FOR 911 EP CODE 3 LEDS ARE THE BEST E-MAIL ME AND I WILL SEND YOU A BOOK. graymowing@aol.com.

7. flykelley

Allright Guys

We are going to make some calls on Monday and get the mounting info on LED.
    If I can mount them in my tailights then that will be the plan.

Anyone have a good source that I can call and talk to them,maybe get a few questions answered.

If not then I will go with strobes,maybe when I buy a spreader I wii put amber LED on each side of spreader.

Regards Mike:redbounce

8. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I have Strobes in my trucks tail lights and rotators on top.

My Enclosed trailer has LED on the rear. My only complaint is that during the day if you are viewing the strobes from an angel they are hard to see. They are still much brighter than a standard bulb but if viewed from the side they become less visible.

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone run a SD with the rear strobes in their back up lights. I know i can run them in my brake/turn lights, but they would be red, and thats illegal around here. There is very little room for the strobes in my backup lights. :D

10. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I have them in my rev. on my Dodge trucks. I have seen them in the rear on Ford trucks. I don't know if there are any problems with them in that location you do have allow space for them to cool. May be the LED are a better choice if they make them.

11. flykelley

Dear Superduty

What is a SD?

Regards Mike

12. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Better watch that " DEAR " stuff !

13. Nfd9606

Nfd9606 Junior Member

Hi guys,
    I just did an install in my buddy's 2003 f-350, and in his 2003 f-550. They don't make hideaway LED's to go int the tail or parking lights. I did a pair af strobes in his front parking lights, and 2 pairs in the rear of his truck, one in the backup lights and one in the tail lights. They will fit but you have to be sure on the positioning before you drill that 1" hole. Just make sure when you order your kit you get the Deutsch waterproof connectors for the strobe tube end and not the Amp connectors. Also don't get the pop in ones, get the ones that have the 2 screws. They are a few bucks more, but save a lot of headaches. Water can get into the Amp connectors and short the power supply out. Even if it is only one connector, the whole power supply shuts down. I have done both Whelen and Nova brands installs. And for the money, Nova is the way to go!! For a an unbelievable light system, get the Nova RPM6-90 power supply:dizzy:. If you have any questions or want to look around check out www.strobesnmore .

Brian

14. flykelley

Brian, check your PM.

Thanks Mike

15. graylawn1

graylawn1 Junior Member

LED's and four corner stropes

Have a dealer that deals in 911 EP, Code 3 Federal Signals and all other emergency lights. 911 EP LEDS are the brightest and come with a full 5 year manufacture warranty. I personally run 2 48" full length LED's light bars. One is a code 3, the other is a 911 EP. Also run 911 EP 36 star, which is 1 1/2 inch thick and 7 inches across, runs less than 2 amps, and has 10 different light patterns, and low provile and very visable day or night for miles. As to 4 corners strobes in rear red tail lights. It is not against the law in Ohio to run these, but is confusing to constractors and fire departments. My personally think all contractors should run yeller only and fire department should run red and white. You can contact me at my web site. graymowing@aol.com.

16. flykelley

Ok Group

I just pulled my taillight,Gm has gone back to bulbs only in taillight no more circuit boards. I do not think there is enough room for the strobe head along with the factory turn signal bulb.

Are there any other options or maybe someone has a late model GM truck and you were able to do this. There has to be some way to do this.
    I could mount then on my toolbox but would like them at the rear not behind the cab.

Regards mike

17. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Flykelley, SD means superduty. :D thanks for the reply nfd9606. Finally the answer i needed.

18. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Strobes.:D

19. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I like strobes! Especially the ones that make you go:eek: