1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strobes on trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RhinoL&L, Jul 4, 2007.

1. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

I am looking to put some strobes in the corners of my headlights and in my tail lights. what kinds do you guys use and what ones have been good. how much do you guys pay for a set and are the easy to install. i was thinkin of a whelen 90 w with 4 lights. sorry for all the questions. thanks
    shawn

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

That's my kit of choice as well.....just follow the directions and wiring diagrams and if you have a decent sense of how to wire things, then you should be fine.

3. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

what is the best spot for strobes? headlights and tail lights or corner/ turnsignal and reverse lights? i have heard its illegal to have them in brake lights

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

It depends on your state's law. I have clear strobes in the front turn signal lamps and rear tailights.

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I use the Nova brand of strobes with hide-away yellow tubes in the front and external wide angle strobes in the back.

I would guess no state allows for flashing red - so, brake lights would be wrong. I've seen them in back up lights but, most do not put them in right or their using low wattage and you can hardly see them,

6. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

where have you guys bought your strobes from. I am looking for a whelen 4 strobe 90 w system.
    thanks shawn

7. scottL

This outfit beat everyone's price. They have been around a long time and service most municipalities. Your best bet is to email him - the website was kind of weak.

Brian S. Fucilla
    Fleet Safety Supply
    P.O. Box 649
    Naperville, IL 60566
    (630) 527-1341
    (630) 527-1342 Fax
    bfucilla@aol.com
    www.fleetsafetysupply.com

The next best spot that I have purchased from and has good priceses and services is Louis at www.strobesnmore.com

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hi When I bought mine for my old truck I went to sirennet.com and built a kit and saved about 75 bucks. I had a 02 silverado and I got 2 25 ft. cables for the rear taillights and the 15 ft. for the fronts. What kind of truck are you putting them in? In my silverado I put them in the corners of the headlights. Where they come around to the fender. Awesome light output and awesome coner warning power and also front.

Ryan

10. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

I will be putting them in an 03 f250 ext cab short bed. do you guys think i will need longer cables?
    thanks

11. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Check out

www.galls.com

While strobes are great, they take up a lot of power. I see more and more people switching to LED's, they only use about 1/10 th the power and are just as bright.

12. scottL

I put the new lights on my new k2500 long bed crew cab. The key is where are you going to mount the strobe head module. In my case the new chevy's do not have any room under the dash and you can not mount the new units where they may get wet or dirty. So, I had to put the unit under the flip up rear seat. It's tucked in nice, out of the way. So, for the strobes in back the 15' cables worked fine. The front strobes needed more length - 18 and 23' foot. It's easy to buy longer then cut them to size. If you cut them use solder, liquid tape and seal them well! in fact make sure you use silicon around all the connectors - if any water gets near the lines or connectors they easily cause the strobe head to shut down, it's a safety feature.

13. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

should i put silicon around the bulb too where it goes into the tail light and coner turn. Also where did you guys run your wires on your trucks and how did you attatch the wire.

thanks

14. scottL

Most heads have gaskets - however, I did spread silicon around the entire external gasket and where the wires go into the flash tube ( make sure NOT to touch the flash tube - this is all external ) after I mounted it with the two retaining screws. As for wires .... it depends on your truck and where your mounting the control head. I use the black wire lum around all of my wires and zip ties to keep anything from moving around.

15. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

Where should i attatch the wires to the truck? should i just zip tie them to the frame what have you guys done thanks for the help

shawn

16. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Shawn
    I like to use wire loom, and then band tie them to the frame. Its nice and neat and will also help proctect the cable.

Regards Mike