1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobes On Trailer?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by kklick, Mar 10, 2008.

1. kklick

kklick Junior Member
    from ohio

Does anyone run strobes on the back of an equipment trailer behind the truck. I'm contemplating doing some driveways next year with a skid steer. Problem is I'll probably have to leave the trailer on the steet. I've found plenty of solutions for the truck but i hate the idea of having the trailer hanging back there with nothing flashing.

Anyone have any ideas about the best way to go about it or should i just put the strobes on the truck and not worry about the trailer?

2. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I would make sure that youre trailer has the 3M reflective tape all around, but as for strobes you could tap into power on the trailer and have a switch on the trailer to turn on some leds. or you could add a quick detach wire from the truck, so that you could have a switch in the truck.

3. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

go withled's they work way better on trailer;s like the whelen tir3's or whelen Lin3's or lin4;s
    ussmileyflag

4. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

ohhi would put strobe or led's on the truck if you dont have any

5. Mstrfxit12

Mstrfxit12 Junior Member

I would second the LED module idea. You should be able to tie into your running light circuit if you keep to a reasonable quanity. You can put a switch up near the tongue or at the battery box. You could also run them off the brake battery.

6. BulldogPS

BulldogPS Member

Run LED's, I have Whelen TIR3s and Dominators on the back of all my trailers. You would need a battery on your trailer if you want strobes because of the amp draw. The only thing that sucks is that when you tap into your trailer wiring, the lights only work when the trailer is hooked up.

7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i was gonna ask y would u need them when the truck isnt with the trailer but then i was like duh. because some guys tow there stuff with there plow truck and ditch the trailer on site. and u would wanna make that seen while the truck and pice r running. LED's suck few amps can run them for weeks off the same batt. there the way to go Oval leds usally fit nice

8. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Id love to see pictures. I want to mount the same type of lights on my two 16" wells cargo enclosed trailers.

9. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Leds are def the way to go, and there are many ways of doing it like mentioned about, it all just depends on your needs.

10. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

Not sure how your trailer is setup, but you could put a battery on your trailer somewhere, then wire your strobes into that, and then make a quick connect of some kind to hook to the truck so when your hooked to your truck, that battery will charge. Just an idea, I've seen people do it with dump trailers so that they are able to use the dump feature more than a couple times. Works well too.

11. kklick

kklick Junior Member
    from ohio

I'll actually be using a dump/utility trailer. It has a small dump section on the back and a 14' flat deck in front of it. 20' 12,000 lb trailer. It already has the battery built in for the dump section and it charges off the truck. Sounds like i should just be able to tie into that.

Here is a picture of it.

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now i have something to look into. I'll definitely be putting something on there for sure. I'll see what I can find now. I'm thinking 2 or 3 down each side and a couple on the back. That should help light it up a bit.

12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

your going to put a bobcat in that trailer?

13. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

why not he said it was a 12000 lb trailer!:dizzy:

14. kklick

kklick Junior Member
    from ohio

Its actually an asv rc-30. Only weighs about 3300-3500 lbs. I don't see a problem with that. Its a 12,000 lb trailer. Minus about 4000 lbs or so for the trailer that leaves about 8000 lbs to work with. I'm not sure how i'm going to have it all set up yet, but yes its going on that trailer. Both gates are being reinforced with angle iron right where the tracks will hit so there shouldn't be any problem with that.

The only thing that slightly concerns me is tounge weight. With the axles that far back i'm concerned with how much i'll have with the asv in front of the dump. The front of the dump actually comes out so it you're not using the dump you can pull it out and get more of the weight over the axles.

I bought the trailer right so if it doesn't work out for me i'm pretty sure i can get my money back out of it. I'm picking up this weekend so we'll find out then i guess.

15. BulldogPS

BulldogPS Member

You should be all set with that trailer and a strobe setup, you must have the same setup that I have on my dump trailer that charges the battery when it's hooked to the truck.
    If you can take that front panel off that dump hopper than you will be all set with the little ASV, its tiny. Thats a pretty sweet trailer.

16. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Try this system... If your running a 7pin plug you can dedicate one of the lines to go straight to the battery (through fuses of course) and it can run without messing up your marker/tail lights.

If your going to leave it (dump it) or what ever... The tape is good, lighting is good but since your pay'n so much $ and you don't have that much left... How about getting some good ol' fashion Orange Cones with Reflexite around them? They make some collapsable cones now so you don't have them blowing over and weighted.

Just a thought!

17. kklick

kklick Junior Member
    from ohio

Thats kind of what i thought.

I don't plow for a living and i'm not a landscaper. Most of my work is decks and fencing. Most of the decks i build require me to put plastic and gravel down under the deck. I've been trying to think for the past few months the easiest way to get the machine, auger and gravel there at the same time without having to haul the gravel in the truck. I was really thinking about mounting a pick up dump insert on a flat bed trailer and then i ran across the trailer pictured. Looks perfect for what i want to do.

The strobes will come in handy for this work as well. The majority of the work is all new construction in busy subdivisions. The truck and trailer will be parked on the steet probably 90 percent of the time. It certaily can't hurt to have some extra lights on there. At least there will be no excuse that someone couldn't see the trailer.

I'll get some pics of the whole setup after this weekend and post them up. Thanks again for the advice.

I do have a 7 pin plug so i'll have to check it out and see if i can find and empty circut on there. I have some cones in the work van already. I'll just throw a few of them in the truck when i have the trailer hooked up. I figured i'd throw a few out if need be. I really think a few strobes will be a pretty good investment though. Espically for those early mornings and late nights.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well I see that the tounge will take all the weight as the axels are all the way to the rear and that is not a fith wheel trailer for one and he will be loading it on the side and have to manuver it to get it on vs going straight on from the back.

It looks like a nice trailer for doing lawn work but not that great for hauling skid steers around I guess unless they are dingo size

19. kklick

kklick Junior Member
    from ohio

The rc-30 without the bucket is only 91" long. The trailer is 101" wide across the front deck. I should be able to pull the machine straight on the trailer without much manuvering. The ramp will actually be back right in front of the dump section instead of where its show in the pics. I'm hoping with it back that far i'll be ok on tongue weight. I've got a sherline trailer tongue scale or order so i'll be able to check it and adjust as necessary.

I'm pulling it with a 2000 f250 with the v-10. Class V hitch and firestone air bags with compressor and in cab gauge and switch.

20. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I was going to recomend airbags. you should be okay though.