1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobes on tailgate spreaders

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by John_DeereGreen, Nov 9, 2011.

1. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone out there running strobes or LED strobes on a tailgate spreader?

I've got an idea that I'd like to try, but I don't know how it would work out.

Clear strobes in all 4 corners of the truck, with the headlights and taillights on separate switches, and then 2 amber strobes on the back of the tailgate spreader on another switch. This way, I've got the option of running the headlight strobes during the day without the awful flashback at night, being able to run the taillight strobes any time, and when the box is on the truck being able to run those strobes as well. It would be nice if the switch panel had a mode button or knob to switch from flash mode to flash mode.

This also would let me use the head and tail strobes in the off season for other situations that might come about. I've currently got a Sho-Me class 1 mag mount mini bar on the roof, and in the ultimate world would like to be able to run all of the warning lights off of one control/switch panel.

Any ideas from sponsors or other guys that may have tried this?
  2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

You won't get flash back with the strobes (I never have at least) I think you should put your truck hide aways on one, with a hi/lo switch and a mode button.
    Then have your tailgate spreader either on a different power pack or possibly switch.
    But before you start drilling, post some pics of your SP and where you planned on placing the tubes or LEDs.
  3. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I would run LED's as they are better tech than strobes, I do have some strobes but prefer the leds.

You may want to check local laws on the white color. If you plan on turning them on while on any public roadway and along the side of the road. If you are not fire/law you may get cited or a nice chewing !! (private property is different)

If it was me I would put led hide-a-ways all around and then some surface mount led's on the spreader.

I have 3 of my spreaders set-up this way.

Good luck with what ever choice you make !!
  4. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

its called QUICK CONNECTS!

I have one Vbox spreader so i just run a trailer harness (since they are easy to plug in quick or vice versa)

My buddy actually did the same thing just ALOT fancier.
    He installed a Female 7 pin trailer connecter thing in all the pickup beds of his trucks. Strobe kit is in the truck.
    So on the panel it just Just had One switch for the rear lights/ spreader lights-- On, Reverse, Off
    Spreader lights are tied together with the trucks rear strobes. Thats on a spring loaded 3 poss. switch (change pattern, on, off) Spring makes it a 2 poss. switch...
    Sounds hard but its quite simple.

EDIT: shouldnt say strobes they are actually LEDS.
  5. John_DeereGreen

I've been in and plowed with a couple trucks with hideaway's in the front and at night the flash kills my eyes...

White/clear is good here...

The ones for the spreader would be amber most likely; it's a Boss TGS1100. If you look on their website, I would be mounting (preferably LED's) on each side of the "TGS 1100" on the back of the spreader.

I like the idea of running all the wires for the spreader lights through a 7 way plug; I'm planning on putting LED floodlights on the spreader as well, so I can run their power through that plug too.

I'd love to have LED hideaways, but they're so freaking expensive...
  6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Actually they're called lightheads and they just happen to be LED.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

PM sent to your inbox.
  8. John_DeereGreen

And back at ya...
  9. Plow man Foster

Chill out!
    I was talking about what was on me and my buddies' trucks. I made a mistake of saying strobes when i really meant LEDs.

tough crowd... aye?
  10. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

If you wanted to get really clever, you could get 1 of the Sound Off Intersectors, fab up a mounting plate, and attach it to the spreader. It's like taking a circular beacon and chopping it in half. That way you get 180 degrees of light coming off the back of your truck and only 1 extra set of wires to run.
  11. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I would like to see where you mount them, I have that same spreader and my thoughts were on the side where the handles are, so when I back out in the rd. oncomimg traffic sees me better. I have red led running lights on the back of mine and a dome light inside for loading salt at night and I leave it on as it gives it a cool glow at night... look foward to seeing your pics
  12. Plow man Foster

Those would be Sweet! Jut saw a video of them.. havent come across the price for them yet......:cool: probably better off that way. lol

I would mount mine right to the top corners of the spreader. Just cut a plate in half and weld it right on.

All you have to do is plug them in i think, because they already have the flasher built in.
  13. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

Yes sir. It would be a easy effective setup. They usually run about $130 each.
  14. John_DeereGreen

I think the Intersector is what's going to go on it...that's a neat thing! I have no problem building a bracket to mount it with either...

I'll probably end up running LED hideaways in the head and tail lights later down the road. Right now I'm more worried about backing up with the salt box...it's my first season running one and there are a LOT of moron drivers around here that pull right up against your back bumper when you're trying to move around.
  15. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

Awesome, make sure to get some pics. Thumbs Up
  16. John_DeereGreen

As soon as it's on and done I will. I'm also planning on building brackets to mount LED floodlights on each side of the box facing back instead of mounting them to my truck somewhere.

I'll get some pics and videos once it's all done!