1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobes on/in plow

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by LawnmastersMike, Feb 11, 2010.

1. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

I drove by a guy lastnight and noticed he had strobes on his plow. It looked pretty neat I was wondering if anyone else had done this? Where can you put them so they dont get broke off? Anyone got pics? Thanks
  2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I just cannot imagine anyplace actually on a plow that any kind of lighting would last any amount ot time. Unless you're just plowing your own (20') driveway, the plow itself is just too tough of an environment. It gets pounded evey time you hit a bump, pile, etc. (Think about how much of a pounding your head gear takes and multiply it by about 10.) Then there's running the power and ground wires to it in such a way that they wouldn't get caught and ripped off. Sorry, but I just don't think anything would last.

My recommendation? Buy a set of "clap lights" and slap them on the mold board. They'll blink on an off all by themselves.
  3. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

On my Ultra Mounts I mounted sealed box strobes on the underside of the headlight bar and used the headlight mounting bolts to secure to the plow. Going on 2 years and no problems.
    On my Uni-mounts I made a bracket that uses one of the turn signal areas and still use both the running and turn signal bulbs by turning them sideways. It was a pain, BUT they have been on there for over 8 years and are original bulbs. The only problem I am having is corrosion in the plug areas as they are in the elements 100%.
  4. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

DOT around here has some on their wings, on the outside edge to keep people from running into them. They're pretty sweet.
  5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

That is a realy bad idea, first of all those lightS aret made to be drilled into. And second those lights get knocked around, so you'd probaly loose a connection some where.
  6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I've seen them mounted on the outter parts of the mount for the plow but not on the blade itself. I've also see some of those LED Sticks mounted on the corners of the blade kinda like corner marker lights but they weren't flashing or anything... Just lit up. Christmas Lighting would have looked better atleast they flash!
  7. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I have mounted an led bar between my headlights on my crossbar works great haven't had any issues and I wired it up on a weather proof connector and can safely remove it when I dis-mount the plow.
  8. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

9. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I want to mount 2 clear bulbs in my plow light housing.....I think it'd look pretty damn niceeee
  10. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I would recommend NOT doing this, t will cause problems for you and if you break your lights they cost about 400 to replace. There's going to be to much vibration in the lights for it. And Ian sure John (saftey lighting) and many others would agree
  11. Quality Lawn

Quality Lawn Junior Member

I have strobes installed in my plow lights
  12. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

ok...i have mounted around 30 sets of pop in strobes into the marking lights of all the newer plows..

use a weather proof connection just like the ones under your hood on factory wires...

easy to do......not expensive......you can also use same connection on the front marker strobes in your truck so when you put plow on you turn off the truck and turn on the plow so you don;t need extra spaces in your strobe box.

also mounted several boxes as described with oval strobes inside them...

it's very easy and very effective......if you want more details hit me up..

The vibrations don't do anything more than the vibes in your truck........this has been covered on here many times and it is a very easy and effective upgrade when done correctly
  13. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

PenDOT has them on some of there wing plows they are the self contaned oval dot style LED in a weld on box

14. outdoor1

outdoor1 Junior Member

yes if done right there great. we have speed tech lights g-4 s and instead of self tappers to mount them we drilled holes bolt and lock washer and nut, your in business. just have to find a good place to put them. tymusic
  15. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

16. outdoor1

outdoor1 Junior Member

keep banging your head, something might pop in there. I have never had any problems with stl products.
  17. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I see no reason why anyone can't install strobe tubes in plow lights, but not on the blade itself, just the impact from your blade triping once would probably kill it! Off subject a little, the problem I may incure is I installed a push button dome light inside my Boss TGS 1100, works great for loading salt in the dark plus it looks really cool, almost like a big running light. My issue is how long will it last considering I have a vibrator installed?
  18. SnowJersey

SnowJersey Senior Member

19. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

I have seen people mount self contained strobe and halogen flashers on plows. I have also seen hideaways in headlights. They work just fine and if a stobe tube in ur plow light breaks due to the vibration u better get out and pick up the lights cuz u hit something. Besides if ur concerned about life on them install LEDs they don't care where they r or how much vibration. Only down fall is u got another plug. If ur real good and have the room in ur plug u can add a cpl pins for leds they don't need shielding.