1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobes mounted under plow headlights?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by JoeG3, Jan 31, 2015.

1. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I have been looking for a good way to have side warning added to the front of my truck. I've had a few close calls the past few days trying to pull out of my street with the plow sticking out into the main road before I can see around the snowbank. I was thinking about ordering a pair of surface mount light and mounting them under the headlights of the plow facing the side of the truck.

My other concern is I already used all of the upfitter switches in the truck so I was thinking of trying to find a remote switch I can hardwire and have a key fob to control the lights.

Has anyone done this or is it a crazy / bad idea?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 on my grill that angle out to the sides

3. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

I put 4 in the grill and two on the plow its self. love the ones on the plow. Just have to run a separate wire for the lights. I have them hooked up with my other strobes lights.

4. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Can you post pics of your setup. I'd love to see how you did yours.

5. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

Not very good pic's but will give a little idea. I will get some in day light.

photo (2).JPG

photo (1).JPG

photo 2 (1).JPG

photo 4.jpg

6. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Thanks. That's where I was thinking except I want to angle them more to the side so as soon as the plow is out in the intersection you can see it. With the blizzard this week we have a lot of blind corners now and I'm afraid someone isn't going to be paying attention and slam the blade.

7. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

I've put them in plow headlights and in most cases can angle them to the sides. We have also installed numerous Surface Stars on the side of plow frames at a full 90 so you don't get the light hitting the plow.

8. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

The side of the plow frame sounds like a good idea. I am all about side warning (and back... not get rear-ended).

For some reason I see a lot of plow trucks with most of their lights facing forward, which I think is a waste since you have headlights, and arent pulling people over plowing.

9. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

https://flic.kr/p/qZAVmJ

I think I'm pretty good with rear warning but I definitely want something up front visible from the side. I had a friend suggest Feniex Apollo F6's mounted facing forward right below the headlights. He has them on a company truck and you can see them easily from 90 out and if I get Amber / White they can be used as a flood light when plowing at night.

10. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I put reflective tape on the sides of my plow and truck bumpers (silver tape on the bumpers snd red on the plow sides and lift arm). I did it mainly so that I could be seen as I 'm coming out onto the road. The tape works really well. Has not peeled off at all, does not get covered up with snow. It's very visible. Give it a shot. Less hassle than installing lights.

11. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I was thinking about that but the only problem with that for me is I have a V blade and where I was going to put the tape you can't see unless you are behind the blade

12. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I have the MVP. I put tape on the side edge of the plow, and on the sides of the lift frame (where the chains hook to the lift ram). The nice thing is that the tape is reflective at many angles; don't have to be looking at it dead on.

13. Gibby515

Gibby515 Junior Member

I was thinking about putting reflective tape on the markers for this reason. Hadn't thought about lights on the plow / mount itself yet, but I like that idea to.

14. Gibby515

Gibby515 Junior Member

I like that idea. Can use them for additional back up lighting as well.

15. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I got a roll of 3m reflective tape and put 4" strips on each marker. It makes them easier for me to see them at night but the small surface area does not reflect a lot. Check out some of my other photos you can see the tape on the blade markers.

16. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

How about a wireless switch? the on/off switch is a little key fob.
    google: 12v wireless switch
    I pull the hot lead right off the plow hot side of the doghouse on the plow. (SW)

17. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Ordered a pair of Amber/White Feniex Apollo's and a wireless switch today. Hopefully they will be here in time to get them installed before this 3 day storm next week. I'll post a video once they are installed.

18. Gibby515

Gibby515 Junior Member

I saw a bluetooth switch just the other day somewhere. Turn it on and off w an app on your phone. I couldnt think of a reason you would need that, but maybe it would work here?

19. Gibby515

Gibby515 Junior Member

Ive been looking at those as well. Video would be awsome. Im curious how bright they are in the steady burn white mode. Would they make goos back up / fog lights?

20. There bright as hell