1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobes mounted on plow

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by sabres07, Oct 5, 2009.

1. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I was thinking of mounting a pair of amber strobes on the front of my boss plow along the top of the light tower. Anyone tried this and what lights are recommended???

Also, I was wondering what to use as a connector to power them. It would obviously have to be weatherproof as well as have some type of cap for when they are not plugged in....any ideas?
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. eaglegrounds

eaglegrounds Member

I dont push with a truck, but i would imagine that if 2 amber strobes were on the plow, that they would be right in front of you. I think having those 2 strobes flashing in my face would get annoying after about 5 minutes.

Though it would look cool from a spectators view:nod::laughing:
  3. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

led's work better plus will last longer with all the vibrations
  4. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

5. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Talk to Dissociative.............i ran this idea past him and he cam up with a idea for mounting strobes in the lights of the plow with weather proof connections to run out of your grill.
  6. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I have done, and will be doing on a new plow in the next days.

Fisher plow I have installed two Nova slultra surface mount LEDS on the either side of the light tower, pointing out to the sides of the truck. I put them high enough that they can be seen over the plow, but since they are not pointed to the front, it does not flash and bother me, but because of the lights design, you can still see them flash. Main reason I like them pointing to the sides is for backing out an entrance onto a road. Works well for that, and really it works well for getting attention period. I also have a set on the back of the truck on either corner pointing out the back of the truck.

As for vibration or anything, these are so thin and screw them on tight, I've not had a problem. They are sealed units, no signs of water or anything in them. The connections I did was just a simple weatherproof connector, that I zip tied to the fisher lighting harness plugs, both at the plow and the truck, So when I disconnect the plow I remember to pull that plug too.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  7. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Yea, I am looking to [ut amber warning lights pointing out towards the side, not the front.

I already have amber vertex LEDs in the front headlight housings and rear back-up lights in my truck, but I seem to be lacking side warnings.

I like the look of the Whelen LINZ6s for plow mounting but it may be just better to get a very bright beacon light for the roof. I have a wimpy LED beacon light on top now, but it is not adequate.
  8. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

yah theres a guy on here (EYESELL) who did that but switched to TIR3's that are on his plow frame pretty sweet lookin .... just look under his name in the advanced search section under user name ... you will run across the photo's he took of this truck
  9. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Ditto on this. He has some pics and a video of the setup with weather proof quick connectors.

10. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Well im assuming that using LEDs that you would run into the same problem I do using the LED lightheads I have in my grill which is that they quickly get packed up with snow and ice because they generate no heat to keep snow buildup off. It only takes a matter of driving to a lot to do this and then also if the snow is light enough it will happen several times while plowing a lot. So if your going to do it, I would use tubes and NOT LEDs.

The ones in my grill are soundoff predator II light heads. They arent cheapies.
  11. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I've not had that problem with the leds mounted on the sides of the light tower.
  12. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Yea, I am thinking of side of plow light tower or on lower corner of front and rear bumper...should be no problem with snow build up, right?
  13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Wierd, I would have thought it would have been even worse there. I set mine back into the grille as much as possible hoping the engine heat would keep the snow off with no luck.
  14. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I could see why one would think so, but it's very little surface area for snow to land on, and plus vibrations of the plow / tower likely help knock things off it. aside from that I can't explain it, but it works for me.
  15. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

16. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I'm going to guess that needs a module to control all that, personally I like the lights that have built in controllers. But to each their own and figured I'll post a link that works, had trouble with yours

17. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

super leds are only for the pre-wired crown victoria's and impalla. COP ONLY

you need a set of these. Either a single wire one for led or a 6 wire for strobes.

i can send you a set-up if you are unable to find them, we have a whole drawer of them in all sizes here.