1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobes making "Snapping" noise

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by SnowGuy, Dec 30, 2009.

1. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

My strobe tube in my left rear back-up light started making a snapping or cracking noise occasionally and then quit working. Any ideas ??? THANKS !!!

2. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Well, either the tube is blown or your cable corroded and shorted out. A snapping noise usually means the cable is shorting. Pull the light housing and look at it. Should be easily determined what has happened when you pull the light housing.

3. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

Thanks, I will try that !!!

4. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

mine started doing that last year while plowing so i looked at them after the storm and the quick disconnect plugs were burnt to a crisp. you HAVE TO water proof the connection even if its kinda in a dry spot

5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

just use heat shrinkable butt connectors.

6. TremblaySNOW

TremblaySNOW Senior Member

My S.W.S strobes always make snaping sounds? I think its normal
    does'nt matter anywas I'm changing them to L.E.Ds

7. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

Guys go with the deutsch connectors, a little more expensive, but in the long run your cables, bulbs and pack will last longer. The most common problem with doing strobes in a work truck with a bed is the exposure to moister, the amp style connectors the kits come with are crap in real work environment.

8. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

safetylighting what are you getting for a deustch connector maybe you should try selling them on here

9. SafetyLighting

Most of the time I install tubes with MetriPack connectors, which are produced by Delphi. I usually sell them for $30 each locally, but if PlowSite members want them I can drop it down to $25 each shipped.

10. plowking15

plowking15 Member

I had a snapping sound in the strobe light on the headboard of highway dept. truck I drive, I pulled out the light the wire was frayed. I accidentally touched it,WOW got quite a jolt. I taped it up works fine now. plowking

11. SafetyLighting

Soooo, the wire was frayed and you just taped it up?