1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobes in clearence lights?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevyplow1382, Oct 4, 2006.

1. chevyplow1382

chevyplow1382 Junior Member

I have an '06 chevy 2500HD and was considering putting 2 strobe tubes in the clearence lights, one on either side of the center light bulb. I looked and there seems to be just enough room to squeeze them in. Has anyone here done this? Or tried it? If so were there any issues involved? Thanks in advance for all your help

2. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I tried, there is what seems enough room, but they are to intense and melted the housing. $89.00 lesson learned. They did fit nice, just produced to much heat.

Hope I helped.

3. snyps

snyps Senior Member

I asked this question last year and a guy on here checked them and it didn't work. I wish they made smaller bulbs so you could. it would look sweet.

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the info John, I was thinking about doing that also. I guess I will forget that.

Regards Mike

5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i thought i saw a guy on here selling a truck with them in there a while back and i always liked the idea guess i wont try it either

6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I though aboout it and never acted on it............sounds like it was a good thing though. The other place I considered putting them was in the Third brake light and cargo box light assembly.

7. emark6

emark6 Junior Member

I actually have six hide away corner strobes. Two are in the front turn lenses, two in the rear reverse lights, and the other two are in the third brake light assembly. Theres enough room to put them in the door ajar/bed lights.

8. flykelley

I have seen them in the cargo light and 3rd brake light. Still would be worried about melting tha lens also.

Regards Mike

9. chevyplow1382

chevyplow1382 Junior Member

Was that melted w/ a 60W or 90W strobe? .... Just curious. I was considering installing them in my 3rd brake light also. Although i really wanted another forward facing pair of strobes, due to the fact that the plow pretty much covers the front 2 in the DRLs to oncoming traffic. Any one have any other ideas? Also does anyone have any pics of how they ran their strobe wire into the cab? On my 2000 i just went through the vents in the back of the cab, but i was looking for a cleaner install and was contemplating drilling a hole in the floor of the cab. I think the problem is getting the balls to drill another hole in a $40k truck!! :cry: I would just like to see how everyone around here is doing it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  10. flykelley

Send me a email address and I will send you pictures of how I ran the wires throught the 3rd brake light opening. flykelley930@aol.com

Regards Mike

11. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a set of 60 watt strobes in the cargo light ot the 3 brake light in my Ranger. Nothing happened to the lense from heat. Had them there for about 9 mo. and then sold it. Havn't finished the F-250 yet. You can run your wires through the rear pillars and then put the plastic covers back over them. Never see them again.