1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strobes - good idea...and bad idea

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowwannab2003, Feb 11, 2005.

1. plowwannab2003

plowwannab2003 Member

i was out the other nite with my buddy and he plows for himself and his trucks outfitted with a 6 head strobe system-2 in the turn signals up front then 4 in the back-brake lights and reverse lights then hes got wig-wag headlights with halogen flashers hanging from the back window. a total of 10 flashing lights.anyways i was driving his truck and saw a friend and got a little overexcited because i love playing with the strobes and decided it would be funny to try to see if he would pull over...didn't see any cops around so i flipped them on real quick for maybe 30 seconds then again for maybe 10 seconds and he pulled over then damnit wouldn't you know it there was a cop behind me the whole time and i got pulled over. didn't get a ticket but came close...the cop was pretty pissed but he let us go. so long story short-strobes are good for plowing not for screwing around.

Everyone stay safe and happy plowing. :bluebounc
  2. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

And dont eat yellow snow :nono:

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Illinois has had a guy pulling people over randomly and raping women. It has been going on for a few years and happens rarely and he has yet to be caught. I know you are young,but,you're lucky you didn't get hauled off to jail.

To bad you did not get a ticket.
  4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Not a good idea to do that with strobes. I have 8 strobe heads on my truck 4 in front 4 in the back. I DO NOT run on the road with on. I only use them in lots and when I plow jobs that are on busy streets. I left them on one day after attending a event at the Silverdome and was on my home and everybody started pulling over. I thought what is wrong with these people, then it hit me my strobes were on. Glad no cops were around I drove right down M 59 and Woodward ave in downtown Pontiac MI with them on. That would not have been good.

Regards Mike
  5. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

my friend has them on his car, and we tried it on a friend last year. he did pull over and it scared the crap out of him. it is not somthing i woudl do ever again.
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I've had people pull over for me before :confused: Duno why :confused: Lightbar has 1amber and 1 clear strobe, 2 amber rotators and 2 alternating amber flashers? :confused:

Wigwags are a big no no :nono: Persoanly I woulda given you a ticket. Cops generaly dont take well to impersoanting and for very good reason too. Hopefully you know how dumb of a move that was and you learned a lesson(and no its not check better for cops and dont get caught) Moves like that are why laws are written and reasons a few bad examples screw it up for everyone.
  7. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

agree with ratlover

wigwags are a HUGE no-no in IL. Impersonating a cop is probably why ya got nailed. Just the strobes wouldn't be a big deal. You might get the evil eye, depending on where you are, but the wigwags are probably what did it.

What colors are everyones strobes? In IL, amber / red is ok for the back, and amber only in the front. If you had clear turn signal covers in the front with clear strobe bulbs, that probably didn't help.
  8. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

WIG WAGS and white strobes are illegal
  9. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

??????Lots of people in IL by me use the 4 head hide away CLEAR strobe system. Cops dont seem to mind???? So is it ILLEGAL in IL to use CLEAR to the front and back? Tons of guys use the CLEAR strobe hide away set. Any of you guys know?
  10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Someone here has posted a site before with all the laws for all states regarding this. No I don't remember what site.
    I did read it though and the only thing legal in Illinois for construction/plow trucks is amber. Blue is allowed only for vol. fire and any thing other is illegal. Just what I read if they enforce it is prolly based on the cop and his knowledge of the law. Whites and red though can be considered impounding acts. If anyone knows a cop it would be good to get one from horses mouth.
  11. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

I heard that from a place in Wheeling (IL), Lund Industries, that sells / installs emergency lighting, that amber/red on the back is ok, but red/white or white was a bad thing.

I've seen the clear ones too. Not sure how they get away with it. Reaper is probably right. Like lots of other stuff, it depends on the cop that sees it. Mostly plow guys run they're stuff when they're plowing, so the cops might leave 'em alone.