1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by robmtl, Dec 3, 2003.

1. robmtl

robmtl Junior Member

Here is my question.
    is it possible to set up a strobe light on a truck and have a three way switch to work as such

position 1. off
    position 2. always on
    position 3. only when in reverse.

i am sure this can be done, and i was hoping some could help me with the details.

thank you in advance.
  2. NHSnow

NHSnow Junior Member

Shouldn't be any problem.

I have 4 hide-aways on my Chev 1500 (1 on each corner) that I use as a deputy fire chief.

The strobe powerpack simply takes 12 volts off of a rocker switch to activate the strobes.

It would be a simple matter to install a 3-way switch with the following configuration:

Position 1 - no power (Off)
    Position 2 - 12 volts from battery (fused as needed)
    Position 3 - hooked into your backup light circuit providing 12 volts only when in reverse. (This assumes enough amps on the circuit.)

That should be all there is to it.
  3. bterry

bterry Senior Member

NHSnow is right. I hope my post isn't too redundant and provides more help. Switch positions are not important as figuring out how your switch works.

I have this set-up on one of my trucks. It's very slick and worth the effort to complete. First get a double throw switch with sufficient amperage (30 amp should be good). These switches typically are off in the center (Pos 2), but it doesn't matter how your's work. You'll need a multimeter to ensure proper installation.

Lets assume you have a switch like this:
    Position 1 = Continuity between poles 1 and 2
    Position 2 = No continuity
    Position 3 = Continuity between poles 2 and 3

Splice a wire from the (tranny switched) portion of the reverse light circuit of your truck (12v while in reverse only) to Pole 1.

Wire your strobe positive to Pole 2 of the switch and ground the negative side of the lights too.

Provide fused power to Pole 3.

Now your switch does this:
    Pos 1: Strobes and stock reverse lights on while in reverse.
    Pos 2: Stock reverse lights on while in reverse
    Pos 3: Strobes and stock reverse lights on

Good luck.