1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobes and Bar?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by albhb3, Feb 18, 2008.

1. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

I was just thinking what is the best way to go with lights.Would it be better to just have a light bar or would strobes in the lights be better? Any suggestions on what brands Cost isnt a problem Thanks.
  2. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Whelen seems to be the most popular for lights and light bars.

thats there site.... you can find an unlimited number of distributors around your specific location by doing a search for them.

Also you can message Fiafighterdude (on plowsite) he has extensive knowledge in strobes, light bars etc... and sells tons of them as well.

As for hideaways vs. bars... its completely personal tastes and many of us seem to use both. I think theres a fine line between whats needed for safety reasons and what just looks cool :)

Hope this helps....
  3. AWLCO

AWLCO Member

Hide away strobes are good for secondary warning, you still need a mini bar on top for 360 protection in my opinion.
  4. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

This also depends alot on where you will be plowing, what kind of things you have on your truck (racks, toolboxes etc) and how much visibility you need. If you're backing out of drives alot, you'd most likely want some hideways strobes in the taillight etc If your doing large open lots, a bar would be more effective. Theres many factors, if you could give us a better idea of the vehicle and your usage, we could offer more tailored solutions.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  5. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i would recomend a combination of both. like tailight flashers. tir3 in the grill and a mini lightbar. just you you have enouph.
  6. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Well I use a 01 chevy 2500HD with a Blizzard 860 Speed wing for a few rental properties a few storage places and a few residentials.
  7. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

I would think that a Mini Bar, 2 strobes in the back taillights and 2 strobes in the front corners would be adequate then.
  8. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

ok thanks for the help
  9. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

i agree with this i think that it will provide the most visibilty and should be relitivlty cost effictive. and it will look the best:D, make shure to post some pictures and vid's of what ever way you decide to go.
  10. Sealer

Sealer Member
    from Ne, Pa.

I can't believe everybody with all these strobes today. Why? When did a good ole' fashioned rotator or light bar become not good enough? Was there a sudden increase in collisions? Or is it to prevent planes crashing into your plow truck??? :nod:
  11. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Sealer didnt you know its proven to prevent planes from crashing into your plow truck
  12. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

Because.... we want draw poeple into the lot so that they can pull into our freshly plowed spot!

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

you know i used to be against strobs, i never used them, until i almost got slammed by a chick in a lexus suv FLYING around a corner, she lost control trying to avoid me and flew into a snow bank.from that point on we have been equipping strobes on the trucks, lol
  14. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I am done with strobes ,only led from now on.
  15. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

I have both and I wouldnt equip my truck with anything less then both strobes and a mini light bar I dont want anyone running into my truck. It costs alot more to fix the truck then it does to buy strobes and light bar.Just my 2 cents