1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe Wiring

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by hockeypro1411, Oct 17, 2009.

1. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 Member

I'm getting ready to install some strobes, and I keep seeing lengths of this "strobe specific" wiring at various online stores. To me it all looks to be 18 guage/3 wire double insulated wire. Is there anything special about it? I have about a mile of this crap sitting in my basement and I can buy connectors for ~$2 online. I can't understand what would make it so special that 30' is worth $25+. Any comments or help is appreciated!

2. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

dont believe there is anything special about it like u said just insulated. Dont make fun of that 30' for $20 cause I just got stuck paying that LOL

3. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 Member

Thanks for the input!

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Its probably shielded cable (I don't know if that's what you mean by double insulated)...and the fact that they are selling it in pre-cut lengths with the ends on it is surely jacking up the price. Your 3-Wire cable will work just fine

5. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I would imagine that hideaway strobe cables are shielded heavier than "normal" wiring to reduce the chances of inducing a current into other vehicle wiring that they run close to. Inductive pickup can happen between wires with good insulation if the current is strong enough.

Maybe one of the installers on here can clarify? I don't run hideaways, so I've never looked at the cables.

6. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

Strobe cables are much heavier in shielding then normal wire, If its not shielded you will get a lot of interference in your radios, Also the whelen cable, the outside shield of gray rubber is very durable and thick, much thicker then other brands. I would recommend just buying the cables so you don't have the worries. I have made small extension using regular power wire, but never would I run a whole length of it.

7. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

DON"T BELIEVE THE HYPE PEOPLE

it's all just a SHIELDED (foil wrapped) 3 conductor wire.

18/3 shielded is available almost everywhere you buy construction wire. The AMP ends suck anyways so just use shrink tube and your fine.

BTW...the shield only prevents your radio from buzzing in speakers when strobes are on......no radio.,...use any wire you want.

easy to find.....easy to wire.......cheap to do.........

party on wanye.......party on garth....

8. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 Member

Perfect. Thanks!

9. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

Haha very nice!

10. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

DISSOCIATIVE LIVES!!! :drinkup: Hey Time to start getting your plans together for the next convention in April.

I do have some of the Whelen Cable I can sell really really cheap... Got like 6 rolls of 25-30' of cable some with the connectors.!