1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by jrtcbmw, Dec 30, 2011.

1. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

I happen to be on ebay one night (bad idea in any case). came across a Whelen 90w 6port kit with some externally mount strobe/flasher housings. Put a bid on and completely forgot about it, until i got an email i won.

On to the question, i plan on running 2 hide-a-way bulbs in the front and 2 in the rear lenses of the truck. Leaving me with 4 housing that came with the kit. My question is, is it possible to wire 2 strobe units together to one port on the power supply.

Thank you
  2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Why would you want to do that?
    You have 6 ports
    2 for front 2 for rear, now you only have 2 open not 4
  3. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

I want to do that so i can have 8 strobes running. 4 front and 4 rear.
  4. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

Theoretically, its possible. You would be dividing the amount of wattage between the 2 strobe tubes and therefore decreasing the brightness/effectiveness of them. IMO, I wouldn't recommend it.
  5. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

I knew it would decrease the output on that port. Just throwing around the idea. and seeing if it would be an option to use the 4 housing.
  6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

It'd be a huge cluster for wires, plus you'd have to solder all that
  7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

you will be cutting the power to he 4 tubes from 30 watts to 15 watts each. this will render them almost useless during the day.
    you would be better deciding where you want to be noticed, and run the 4 tubes on that side of the truck.
    most of the 6 tube installs i do are 4 in the rear and 2 in the front
  8. chakakan

chakakan Junior Member

If you really wanna run that many strobes I would suggest selling your power supply and then getting a CSP8180 power supply.
    Breaks down this way:
    CSP990= 6 heads @15watts each or 4 heads @ 22.5 watts
    CSP8180= 8 heads @ 22.5 watts each

Also keep in mind most of the manufactures say no more than 25watts per head or you risk blowing the strobe tube. I actually have a spare 8 head supply. If your interested shoot me a P.M. and we can possible work out a deal.