1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe VS LED

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Jul 5, 2005.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Hello! I am looking for some feedback about strobe and led's. I have been looking at the new Whelen Mini LED lightbar (same size as the 9M strobe) I have seen it flash and I was wondering if the led's flash slow or can you adjust the flash rate to be as fast as a strobe? Thank You

2. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

They should have 10 patterns. One of them should flash fast

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I like LED'S much better.Im not familiar with that model but my local fire dept and police have switched to led bars and they are very bright.They do seem to flash a little different but i wouldnt say they are any slower.

4. sam973

sam973 Member

I see pros and cons with both. The LED's can be(depending on what type) much brighter than strobes when your head on with them, however, it seems to me when you are off to the side of LED's they aren't as bright. I think strobes have a wider effect. The LED's do not use as much power as strobes though. The perfect set up to me would be one of the bars that runs both LED and strobes.

5. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

Pros & Cons with each.

Strobes are probably cheaper, but you'll have to replace the strobe tubes eventually.

LED's will last years and then some. They just don't burn out.

Both are going to have the problem with off-angle viewing, just because that's how they're made. The only way to avoid that is going with a beacon-type strobe, a strobe with a 360 degree view. There is a LED light that does this to, but I bet it's expensive!

Manufacturers are getting better with the off-angle viewing of LED's, by doing tricks with the reflectors inside of the unit.

If you want strobe vs. LED, I'd say go with LED. It will last a few days short of forever, less power draw, and they just look cooler :p

6. smiti105

smiti105 Member

LED's are going to last you about 100,000 hours or so drawing next to nothing on the power draw. The impact resistance is also another feature which is good with the LED's. Might be a bit more expensive but well worth it.