1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe switch problem

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by TONY M, Oct 26, 2008.

1. TONY M

TONY M Junior Member

I just installed whelen gr230 strobe lites ,i wired them to a switch that has . Toggle for 1 &2 the next toggle foR 3,4,5,6,it also has a push type button for changing patterns,my questiion is when i turn on switch one the rears are suppose to go on the switch lites but no rear strobes,when i put on # 2 switch all four work ,can anybody help me ouy on this?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

did you go over you wireing and make shure every things hitched up right and another thing i had a wire that got cut wile installing and it grounded it self out on they wouldent work

3. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

You have the strobe cables plugged in wrong. You need to plug the front pair of cables into 1+2 and the rear cables need to be plugged into outlets 3+4 or 5+6, your choice.

4. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Blue line has the best deal... One other thing that I may toss in... maybe the first switch is just a bad one.

5. BlueLine Ent

If the first switch was bad, all four still wouldn't come on if they were plugged in right.

6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

True, but if the switchbox is set in a series mode... I'm just thinking old school where things were series and not parallel. Your more up to the switch boxes. :salute: I guess I'm just getting too old! LOL

7. TONY M

TONY M Junior Member

sorry ,itried that ,did not make a difference.

8. BlueLine Ent

what power supply are you using?

9. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

you say youre using whelen strobes.... the part number you listed is the galls 90w 6 outlet supply gr230. so is it galls or whelen.
    also did you get the gr 248 switches for your supply?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  10. TONY M

TONY M Junior Member

I'm using a 90 watt whelen

11. ColliganLands

are you sure you have the wires plugged in correctly. if all 4 work on switch 2 that would probably mean that you have all 4 strobes onto switch 2 outlets(3,4,5,6)
    the supply is set up for switch 1 controls outlets 1,2 and switch 2 controls 3,4,5,6
    you also need to make sure the switches are hokked up correctly.
    what switch pannel did you buy or did you make your own?

12. TONY M

TONY M Junior Member

It is whelens 90watt power supply csp690 90 watts 6 outlets and yes i have the gr248 switch.

13. ColliganLands

ok i have that same switch in my ram
    did you make sure all the wires on the back of the switches were connected? when i got mine there were two red wires that wereloose and had to be connected together.
    ill post you a couple pics in the morning of the powersupply and the switches.

14. TONY M

TONY M Junior Member

That would be great if you could post some pictures of how you got yours hooked up,everything went great until i hooked up this switch,thanks cooligan lands ,i finnally got someone with the same equipment

15. ColliganLands

i really liked how that switch worked for me. ill take the best pics i can but the supply is jammed under the seat of a 94 ram single cab bench seat so well see how good they are. ill get some of the switches too for you.
    hopefully we can find the problem

16. ColliganLands

tony - my camera decided not to save the pictures i took for you. i will try again later. what i have setup is the front strobes are in 1,2 and the rears 3,4 then you have a switch for 1,2 a switch for 3,4,5,6 then the momentary for the patterns. all these should have been pre setup with plugs on the galls pannel. they just need to be plugged into the powersupply which i believe is labeled if not the instructions should say where these go. there was a loose red wire on the back of the switches that gets connected to the other loose red wire. the switches need to draw power from the battery or somewhere else in the vehicle
    ill try to get you some pictures in a while

17. ColliganLands

18. TONY M

TONY M Junior Member

o.k thanks.

19. TONY M

TONY M Junior Member

Colliganlans,o.k got the lites working ,my only question is when i put on #1-2outlet rocker the fronts come on ,when i rocker #3,4,5,6 rocker the rears come on so now i have all working,i would like to know if yours work that way,because i cant just turn the rears on without the fronts

20. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i am in ILL too...if you can;t get this fixed e-mail me and i can make this right..

i suspect that switch panel...