1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strobe questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04superduty, Oct 15, 2004.

1. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

what is everyones opinions about the different strobe manufacturers. i have read that whelen is the best but would like some more info about the others.

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Whelen is pretty near the top of my list for strobes. They are the top of the list imo as far as led products go.

3. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Also check out www.strobesupply.com

She is a plowsite sponsor and is offering some very good pricing on high quality packages just for plowsite members.

4. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Actually Tomar is one of the best, if not the best out there, but very expensive. They have darn a good warranty too. 04superduty, I would have to agree that Whelen is one of the best in the more affordable lines of strobe equipment and NOVA isn't very far behind in addition to Federal Signal. I also agree with wfd44 about Whelen being the leader in LED technology.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  5. Robo

Robo Senior Member

The mini bar magnetic mount looks like just what I am looking for. Do you have any experience with it??

Also do they make something that would turn your marker lights into strobes??

6. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

No experience witht the one at strobe supply. My Whelen mini bar was a mag mount but when I bought my backrack I also got a mount kit for the mini bar. I found the wire bouncing on the roof at highway speed irritating :dizzy:

My bar is also a dual rotator type. I don't like strobes up high personally. The back scatter tends to draw my eyes away from where they need to be.

7. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I have a Tomar dual strobe dash light that i use for fire department It is a very good light. and a whelen strobe on my backrack . No problems with either.

8. 04superduty

thanks for all the replies so far. just so much many different companies.

9. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

If You Have The Money Go With Tomar I Have Never Had A Tomar Power Supply Go Bad...

10. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Tomar for me....I like the way they pot the power supplies. I stick one or two under the hood and I'm good to go. I once stuck one on top of the spare tire on a Chevy pickup temporarily and it did fine even 2 years later. I also screw them to a support underneath a pickup box. They key to the whole thing iis to seal up the connections well. I use a large amount of silicone and I have zero problems. I had a 7 year old pack that went bad and Tomar replaced it. Gotta love the 10 year warranty on the Neobe packs. I have used Whelen before but got sick of replacing light bar power supplies and regular strobe packs. With a Whelen you have to mount it inside which makes cableing a little more difficult. The last fire truck we ordered had all Tomar Strobes and Whelen LED's. The best of each and 0 problems...

11. 04superduty

does strobe supply sell Tomar??

12. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Last time I bought from Nancy, she was only offering NOVA power supplies. Check out her web site for yourself http://www.strobesupply.com/

Rick

13. mole

mole Senior Member

Just orderd the one from strobe supply. was a pretty good price of 159.00 for plowsite members. tell you what i think when I get it.

14. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Ok bringing this post back up to the top. The reason is in the past I was told to go with a 90 watt system, which is fine with me. Bigger is better and I am looking to use strobes, all white, for my amateur/personal plowing needs and often when I am found on the side of a road etc helping a friend with a broken down car.

My question is to Nancy and people who know there stuff. I have a 2004 dodge ram quad cab, do I need longer wires for the 2 rear strobes???

What is a fair price for a 90W 4 strobe system? Do they are come with "power packs" that allow me to run just the rear strobes, just the font strobes, or all 4 at once???

Yes I am new to this and want it done right. Would like to run just the rear strobes if I am plowing a small lot or it is summer and I am working in the front of the truck (like on a car that is broken down on the side of the road) and do not want my truck flashing in my face. Just run the rear ones so no one hits me, leave the front ones off so I can use the front head lights on the truck without getting a headache.

Is something like this good: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=2459023714&category=42613&sspagename=WD1V

???

Anyone and Nancy I am looking for quality as I want to run my truck for 10 years and buy everything with that in mind. Nancy if you want to price out something for me with all this in mind I would love to talk with you about it.

I know PM is down so I guess I will check back here for everyone's thought.....

15. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

I also have a strobe question, for hide aways...

Has anyone put them on a new style chevy silverado (01-04)?

If so, where did you mount the tubes?, exact location in the tail and front lights would be helpful! I know they require a 1" hole and 3/4" to any surface inside, and just wanted to get some actual experience info..

Pictures would really be helpful, but thats a lot to ask!

Thanks in advance..

Bill

16. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

17. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

strobes

strobes bounce off the snow too much....LED's are much better

but you also have the low power option with strobes to reduce that

18. 04superduty

can i get LED's mounted in my headlight and tail light housings??

19. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

"Quote: I also have a strobe question, for hide aways...
    Has anyone put them on a new style chevy silverado (01-04)?
    If so, where did you mount the tubes?, exact location in the tail and front lights would be helpful! I know they require a 1" hole and 3/4" to any surface inside, and just wanted to get some actual experience info.."

On my '03 Silverado, I mounted the strobes in the reverse lights in the back, and in the very side corner of the turn signals in the fronts. The fronts were a very tight fit as they were in behind the yellow reflector, but still enough room for a 1" hole.

Don't have any close up pics, but this worked out great. Had the power supply under the rear seat, and ran all the wires through one of the rubber plug holes in the bottom of the floor (you can see them from under the truck, or if you pull the carpet back some.

20. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

sbrennan007....thank you very much! Did you not put them in the rear signal housings because there was not enough room or did you just prefer the reverse light? 15' leads or 20'? I have a crew cab, but should be close to the same distance..

Bill