1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I was seriously debating getting hide-a-ways for my 06 F250, but then I was thinking (there's the problem,lol) does the light bother you while backing up or plowing forward. When its snowing sometimes my overhead Whelen is too bright and if its snowing hard its blinding. Just wondering if they become a problem or not before I spend some $$$, thanks in advance.
  2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Good question. You are talking about replacing your turn signals with strobe flashers right? I could see how bouncing off of the plow and/or falling snow could cause a problem.

Hope someone that has them responses because they are a lot of money.
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

They do very much so bounce off of snow and cause alot of reflection in your face. Maybe try to put them in the corners of the lights rather than in the front. Or maybe even find a way to put a switch in to turn front or rear on at different times.
  4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I have the 90 watt 4 head whelen kit and it works just fine. I have two in the front and 2 in the rear. It doesnt bother me like it does a lot of guys. you get a good 360 degree coverage if you dont want your top lights on. They make strobe switch panels where you can turn the front ones off and leave the rear ones on. You can get a set for 150-200
  5. Brian Young

I was basically going to use it for the rear any ways. I have a few places where I cant see over the hills and they cant see me, and last year even with my overhead on there were a few times cars were a little too close for my comfort.
  6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i dont have any strobes, flashers, big yellow spinning lights, etc. etc. etc.
    im not sure if they are required. never really checked into it. i dont have commericial plates so i cant imagine i would need them anyway. and if i dont need them i dont really want them. i would like to brighten up the fisher headlight situation with spending the cash on the high intensity fisher lights. any thoughts?
  7. Brian Young

Their new lighting system is awesome!!!!!!!!! I had a Meyer's 2 seasons ago with the usual type plow lights and most of the time I could barley see anything. I thought BOSS had bright lights but I seriously think these are much better, they throw the light out left and right pretty far as well. IMO, a wise investment.