1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ozone, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Ozone

Ozone Member

Hello Everyone,

Just found this Site on Google today...all I have to say is..awesome!!! Lots of information on here to soak up..but I do have a question of my own.
    This is my 3rd year plowing....(currently subbing out) and my question is...I wanna buy strobes for my head lights, seen some very nice trucks using strobes and I must admit they look awesome. Question is...i dont know anything about them or where to go and look for them. I would also like to know the pro's and con's to useing them. Im hoping to become a regular member on the board and contribute in the discussions with my experiences.
    Anthony

2. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

their are different manufactures of stobes.i personally have nova.then theres whalen.both make excellent stuff.
    pros people will see you when plowing,sometimes your state requires them.cons one more darn thing to break and fix.

3. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

I run a Nova 4 head system, works great. Check out www.bigcountrysupply.com. That where I get my stuff from. Abouut the best prices I have found and good service and tech support. Right now they have a special on a Nova 4 head system for $199.95 (complete package). Shop around, but thats as cheap as your gonna find (and no, its not my company).
    Pro- Be seen
    Con- Bulbs are $30.00 a pop.
    Wanna play, ya gotta pay.

4. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

w i have the nova 4 head also i paid 165 dollars

5. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

Easthavenplower,
    Where did you get them four 165.00 ??

6. jlag

jlag Junior Member

I run the Nova RPM 4 90w. This is the random pak with head mapping and the chaos mode. Very cool display. Get least 20W into each bulb for best daylight effect. A low cost 40W power supply will not be as visible during the day. Complete kit was $274 w/ bulbs and cables. http://www.strobesnmore.com. They have some cheaper ones there as well. It is also nice to have a power supply that can reduce the power at night. This keeps blinded drivers from crashing into you, also it is much less annoying when you are inside the truck at night. I find the strobes a little tougher to deal with at night than a rotating beacon on the roof.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  7. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Check the laws in your state before you put clear strobes in your headlights. It's illegal in NY. A friend has amber strobes in his headlights, they just aren't very visible when plowing. Seems the blade blocks the strobes from the front, and the reflection on the snow covered blade is very distracting to the driver. He just bought a roof top strobe to use while plowing.

8. DTContracting

DTContracting Junior Member
    from CT

Check this site out, I got an email about a Holiday Sale. I think the sale is for 15% Off right now. http://strobesupply.com/ . I run a Nova system right now and have never had a problem.