1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by weekendwrench, Nov 2, 2010.

1. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

Are any of you required by law or city ordinance to run strobes in your truck head and taillights? Do you get an insurance discount, or is it a wiz-bang cool thing? I don’t really want to put them in my new truck if I don’t have to. I don’t think they are “cool” or worth my money and time of putting them in if I don’t need them. I was just going to run a led light bar on my headache rack and be done with it. Any info would be appreciated Thanks.

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Some places require it

3. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

I'm gonna have to say it's a wiz bang cool thing. I just don't understand how some people can justify spending hundreds if not thousands on flashing lights and then they have these big ugly controllers bolted to their dashboards. Some of them are enough to set off an epilectic seizure. Just throw a flasher up there and be done with it

4. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

What places require flashers mounted in your light lenses? Please elaborate.

5. ajslands

Michigan requires a 360 degree light and I believe you have to have a back up alarm.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Yes please

MA just requires flashing lights (you can use your stock 4ways for that)

7. ajslands

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

some states specifically prohibit strobes in headlights or taillights, or strobes of certain colors. MA prohibits headlight strobes, for example, yet tons of people run them. Flashing Red is also prohibited here, yet combination tail/brake/turn signals are fine so a strobe in your taillight may be ok.
    There is always talk about amber light permits- some states require them, some do not, some have not made up their minds yet (MA again..)
    Check your states laws.

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Strobes aren't that expensive, you just need to find the deals. I have just over $200 into my setup which includes a Full Size Whelen lightbar, 4 hide away strobes powered by a 90watt Whelen unit. Granted my wiring and bulbs were in my truck when I bought it.

I think it looks good, but in the middle of Maine (which barely has ANY street lights) and the driveways have NO lighting, its a big safety item. When my truck is lit up, its hard to look directly at it but will get your attention if I'm backing down a driveway onto a dark road. May save my life, so its worth the money in my opinion.

11. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

All my trucks have strobes and I dont put them on because I think they are 'cool'. I put them on so people look and see my logo on the truck and so when plowing people know to stay clear.

12. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Plowgut43
    If the object is to be seen you might want to get rid of your strobes and get an old style revolving beacon.

While it is true that strobes are much better than revolving light in line of site the flash is too short to be seen by reflection. IE off of trees around corners or over hills.

OK let the thrashing begin

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

How is a beacon any longer than a strobe? The only time you see a beacon is once the mirror reflects the light from the bulb and is very short. In the meantime my strobes flash multpile times per second throwing my more light. I don't know how to explain it but you can see my truck much better now than when I had a beacon/rotator on my roof.

14. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

it's a combination of a few things, Moose', coy dogs, and moxie... basically they just aren't going to understand..yessah

15. ajslands

So it may not be a law in your state or ordinence or w/e you want to call it, but every plow truck should have a strobe or beacon of some sort on top of there truck/ car/ jeep/ suv.

16. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I have a code 3 mini bar dual strobe and a nova quad flash beacon, if you can't see my trucks probably bad idea to drive

17. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

I have a rotating lightbar on my headache rack and 6 way whelen 90w strobes (2 front, 2 rear, 2 in rear cablight casing) I dont use them all at the same time, but the options are nice to have depending on the severity of the storm and visibility. I run the rotator in a moderate storm from site to site, and run the rear strobes if im in a driveway so passers by see my truck, this way the residents Im plowing dont get blinded by fronts or rotator. ( the fronts are only for emergency, ie breakdown...knock on wood, havent had that problem as of yet!). I dont see a problem with plow trucks having lights all over them, but to have it lit up like a xmas tree (or holiday tree if theres anyone I offended..haha) all the time. Theres no need of it...kinda like wipin your ass before ya crap, it just doesn't make any sense!

18. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Massachusetts requires a roof mounted amber light/strobe.

19. 01lariat

01lariat Member

First responders here seem to be infatuated with all sorts of blinking lights. Plow guys not so much. Amber something on top is all that is needed. Although auxiliary reverse lighting is something that is beneficial.