1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Mysticlandscape, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

I have a whelen 90 watt hideaway kit in my truck. The Strobes go for about 30 seconds then the box starts making a buzzing noise and they stop working. Any idea what it could be? Maybe grounding out or is the box defective?

2. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

try diconnecting one bulb at a time ... I had the same thing that ended up being a bad wire to the rear corner, found it by pulling them one at a time from the power pack...you probably have to cycle the unit on and off after each time it starts to "buzz".

Good Luck, mine were a PITA

3. Mysticlandscape

Ya, everytime I turn it on and off it works fine for 30 seconds and then does it again. What did you have to do to fix it, how do the lights come off in the back?

4. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

I took one plug out of the "brain", turned it on ... dead
    Took a second plug out of the "brain" turned it on, all was OK
    Put the first plug back in, turned on OK
    Put the second one back int, turned on and "buzzing"
    Ended up leaving the second plug out for a while and no further probelms so replaced the bulb on that wire and still had the buzzing
    Replaced the whole wire from brain to the bulb and no trouble anymore

Basically, each wire and bulb works like its own little circuit...but like christmas lights, when one goes bad, the whole thing is dead.

Who put it in? Get them to check it.

Oh, the lights on the back have two bolts/screws inside the tailgate opening, gate has to be down to get to them

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  5. Mysticlandscape

Ya I had a shop up the street do them I am just going to bring it to them in the AM they were busy the rest of the day but their board was short for tomorow. I don't need the right away anyway.

6. Mysticlandscape

Its all set now.

7. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Any idea what it was?

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

his reply to my strobe thread regarding this one.