1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe problem...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SnowMan4U, Jan 3, 2006.

1. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

I have a 6 head nova strobe system (new) and today, although it worked fine for the first three hours, in the middle of doing a driveway, they just stopped working. I turned the switch off and finsihed up my route. I tried them one more time on the way home but still nothing.

I parked the truck for about 2 hours and came back to it. Turned the switch on, and they worked...for about 5 minutes.

Any ideas? (Yes, I have checked all my wiring and it looks good.)
  2. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

wet connection ???

assuming the power supply is installed inside of the truck and out of the weather it could be a wet connector at the bulb.when i install them with standard amp connectors i silicone seal them real good.next time the system goes down disconnect each plug one at a time from each bulb.if it comes back on the plug you pulled is getting wet where it connects to the bulb.another thing it could be is the ground.make sure thats good and isnt corroded.other than that the only other thing it could be is the p/s is on its way out.i know it may be new but unfortunately electronics fail but they have a 5 yr warranty on the p/s.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  3. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Definitly water where the bulb in your taillight meets the wire....Assuming you did the wiring properly in the engine compartment, and the box is properly powered and properly grounded. I just did this install 2 days ago...Good Luck
  4. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

Is there any way to tell which obe other than taking them all apart and wiping them dry?
  5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

The only good way to diagnose which is the culprate is to disconnect each one from the power supply one at a time and fire the system up.

Personally, what I would do is take a hair dryer to all the connections exposed to the elements to get them nice and dry. Then, silicone the daylights out of the connections to keep the moisture out of them.
  6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Moisture in the plugs...:nod:
  7. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I had the same problem with mine. Start unplugging the heads and you'll find the trouble one. Mine ended up being a wire that was rubbing aginst the connector. Ended up wearing down the insulation and shorting. You could actually hear it hissing and popping when you turned the strobes on.
  8. ramsport1500

ramsport1500 Member

Try some di electric grease in all of your connections, or use any non corrosive grease. We use it all the time on plow and anything exterior connections, It will keep all your contacts working
  9. Rappa

Rappa Member

Unless you buy the waterproof connectors, which are expensive, it is a MUST to silicone every connection that is outside the truck and exposed to the elements. One drop of water will render these strobes useless untill they dry out. Been there done that... Dry them like someone said with a hair dryer and silicone them up. That should solve the problem. Good luck