1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strobe power supply problem

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by schrader, Nov 30, 2009.

1. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

Hey, when my strobes were running the other day I heard a loud popping sound then all the stobes stopped working. I have check the power to the unit (whelen cps 690) and power from the switch and fuse all are ok. Any other suggestions?

Thanks Corey

2. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

call me crazy but did you check the fuse? please tell me you have a fuse?

3. Deco

Deco Senior Member

you possibly have a splice in a wire (shorting) comb your leads. i had a chaffed one and it did the same .

4. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

I second that I had the same problem with when i powered them on there was a loud snap and I had some chaffed wires that were shorting

5. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

on a side note- heat shrink is your friend....and wire loom if you're anal like me.....both are dirt cheap and really lessen the chances of chaffed wires. Its well worth the $5 investment.

6. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

Sounds like a short to me.. just like everyone is saying... Also might be a good idea to use waterproof connectors or the cheaper way lots of tape and dielectric grease.

Check all the fuses first... "K.I.S.S."

7. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Yeah, as stated, that popping sound is usually the sound of high voltage arcing. Check all the cables starting at the light-head end. I'll bet you find some corrosion and burning.

8. schrader

Hey all the stobe wires are soldered and heat shrinked then run in wire loom. I can not find any visible damage. I have 12v to the power sully but I can not get any of the strobes to work at all. I have unplugged all them then plugged them back in one at a time and still nothing. Cant see the short have blowen all four strobes at once. Possible faulty power supply?

Corey

9. SafetyLighting

Where is the unit fused?

10. schrader

The unit is fused 6" from the batt and one in the power supply itself.
    Corey

11. SafetyLighting

Good man. Ok, so you have power at all the positive inputs at the PS itself, right? Make sure the ground is good as well. If everything is powered and grounded properly, then the power supply is probably bad. If you turned it on without any tubes connected and still don't hear it firing, then it is definitely blown.

12. schrader

I am seding it back to Whelen in the morning.
    Thanks Corey

13. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

the supply won't "fire" with no tubes connected....the csp series will go into self protect the second a fault is found in ANY wire connected to it or if it is powered dry (no bulbs)

10 to 1 you have connection issues not a bad supply.

get one known good strobe tube and plug her in all by herself to the supply...i bet it works fine

14. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

....the joy of strobes.
    I think ive re-done the wires/re-sealed the strobes 3 times now. Fried the power box somehow too. Yes it had a fuse in it, and yes, theres another fuse at the battery.

But hey, they're still cool as hell

15. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Any updates?

16. schrader

Sent it to Whelen this morning.
    Corey

17. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

you have a chaff in the cable somewhere, strobe cable, their is nothing wrong with the supply, their is a cut cable somewhere

18. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Do you have his power supply? Im just sayin, what makes you so sure? Mine got fried, they sent me a new one, and it worked. All my wires were ripped out, checked, and cleared.

19. SafetyLighting

It's a Whelen, so it just isn't possible that there is anything wrong with it. Whelen products are flawless. :rolleyes:

20. nbannan

nbannan Member

Loud pop

Sounds like a capacitor to me.
    I'm no strobe expert, but I have built lots of electronic projects.
    I would think a short to ground, too much current draw & overloads capacitor (pop).