1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe Power Supply Location????

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by tattooedplower, Mar 6, 2009.

1. tattooedplower

tattooedplower Member

Where would be an ok location for my strobe power supply. It is going on an 99 Yukon (old body style). I've been told (and common sense) that it needs to be in a dry location. This would make me think that under the hood would not work. So I was thinking inside under one of the seats would work, but the mechanic at our power plant who installs and services all of the work trucks said he has seen many of the power supplies burn up. He said that in the cab is a bad idea. What do you guys think, where are some of the locations you've got? Any help would be great, thanks.

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

in the cab is the best place for them. Under the rear seat is a good spot for them.

3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Thats where mine is too, raised off the floor a bit so the underside can stay cool.

4. tattooedplower

tattooedplower Member

Thanks for the advice, under the rear seat it goes.

5. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

I have mine under the hood with no problems for a year now. I mounted mine on my drivers side fender well. I did have a problem with the connections at the front bulbs i didn't seal them and when they got wet they would arc. they burnt up the couplers and could have started a fire so make sure you seal up any connections with silicon and tape

6. 7879fordplower

7879fordplower Member

I mounted mine under the truck bed because i didn't have long enough cables, been problem free for over three years out in the weather.

7. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

if you mount it outside of the cab make sure its a waterproof PS. Otherwise under the seat is your best bet!

8. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Under the passenger seat or on the rear bulkhead as long as you have some good airflow to it.

9. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

as said....some are ok to mount outside....some are not...

if it's dipped in liquid plastic and sealed mount anywhere...otherwise inside only

10. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

Another thing to not forget is to put an inline fuse. All manufactures will tell you but everyone always bypasses it since everything will still work. But you can mess up the system by not putting the fuse it. Cost $2.00 and takes 2 minutes...