1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe placement question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Nov 22, 2005.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

In the back end of the truck I plan to put the hideaways in the reverse lights lense (clear). Now in the front I plan to put them in the turn markers lense (amber). I was thinking I'd have to put them in the plow's headgear light setup, so that they are visible over top of the plow. I think it would look kinda goofy though and then i would only be able to have the strobes when the plow is on (SnoWay plow, the headgear stays with the plow not the truck)... my factory signals on the pickup are placed just above the bumper, flat horizontally... pretty sure you wouldn't see them there.. i know placing them in headlights is illegal. Where are most of you guys putting your hideaways on your pickups? I guess most of you have corner mounted vertical signal lenses on front and that would not be too bad i guess maybe... help! Truck has 3" body lift as well so that sits it up a little. the headgear might sit a little higher when hooked to the truck.

Here's the truck, the plow is not mounted just sitting in front of the truck. Going to work on the mount today (off of a stinkin F250 so I'm building my own subframe).. of course I will post pics when I get her on and see how she holds it. Looking for smaller skinnier snow tires.
    Thanks for any ideas on the strobe placement.
    Eric

IMG00010_3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

im not sure that hide-aways are best option for that truck...i think they would be fine for the back but no matter where u put them up front, i dont think they will look right...i would save the money for the hide away kit and get a nice led mini bar. just my .02

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I think you would get better warning outa a single or dual rotator mini light bar. They can be mag mounted, perm mounted, or you could make something that goes into your stake pockets or a headach rack

you can also buy strobes that plug into your strobe control box that you dont need to mount into headlights ect. Some look like oldschool cab clearance lights that you could stick on your roof. if your dead set on strbes I'd look at that wroute

4. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

placement

Im not too sure but that truck looks to have headlights that are one solid piece. if thats the case you cant put strobes in them.

5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Nepsjay, too late done did 'er (bought the strobe kit)

Ratlover, i have a dual rotator as well... and thinking about making a headache rack for it... Should I think about putting two strobes in the backup lenses, and two up in the rotator bar and not worry about anything up in the front?

James, can't put strobes in headlights around here its illegal unless you have a badge. The turn signal housings on the truck itself are a plastic housing that is recessed into the body with a screw on lense. The plow I don't remember... I haven't had the truck or plow for too long, the truck a couple months, the plow a month maybe but I have only looked at it once or twice I'm not real familiar with the lights on it.

Thanks ya'll.
    Eric

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

You could also buy a strobe light head(other than a hidden bulb) that will work with your power supply. Check out Whelen's website they have a bunch of strobe light heads with various mounts...

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

This is what I ment.

I will say in revers ect depends on if your truck will handle it, some housings are pretty compact and will melt or just dont have room.

You can get strob heads that look like aux lights(even ones with clear faces not amber) that flash yellow. Might look cool on your truck on a headach rack. Check out awdirect.com or gaals.com or the like for some deccent ideas.

I did mount extra strobes in my light bar. Works deecent enough.

8. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

will post pictures

i have a picture of mine but it says its to big of a file?if i figure out how to change i will post them..... basically i have them in turn signals even on the plow assembly.

9. THE BOSS 1975

heres the picture

jssm_plow_truck(ford)_strobes_004.jpg

10. HoveysLawnCare

HoveysLawnCare Junior Member

hey man that came off MY STINKIN f 250! LOL.

11. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

:waving: :gunsfiring: :p

frozen and ratlover, thanks, gives me more to think about but I didn't see any that I really liked.

the boss, nice truck, the lights don't look too bad there. are they on seperate switches or are they all on at once, seems the ones in your truck lights might bounce off the back of the plow that is what i'm worried about. you wouldn't see much :eek:

12. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Strobes up front will give you a glare/reflection off the snow. If you put them up front, put them on a separate switch them so you can shut them off and leave your rears on.

Roy

13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My strobes up front are stand-alone units, so I mounted them in the top of the grille. They are visible thru the open area of the plow.

I take it yours are not stand-alone units. Maybe you can mount them in some cheap clear clearance lights behind your grille somewhere? No one sees them unless they are turned on then.

14. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Is there room inside the duel rotators to mount the strobes in them?
    Just a thought.

15. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

derek, not bad idea, but you'd lose side visibility there too.. no way to win! lol... i was looking at my Snoway headgear lights, they have wrap around amber lense for the turn signals, and the light unit can easily be taken apart (so it appears) and looks like it has plenty of room to add a strobe bulb. So I think i'm going to try that maybe, its that or inside the rotator light not sure.

Dwan, yes there should be plenty of room in there... my grandpa and I built the lightbar from a few different ones he had (he used to build custom lights for people back in his days). There's almost room for three rotators in there, but we opted for the diamond shaped mirror plates in the middle instead. sitll room for strobes.... i'm wondering if, if i put the strobes in there, it would not annoy me as much while i'm plowing... i'm thinking it might be better... then i can have rotators or strobes, and can use any combo i want. hmmm....

thoughts on putting the strobes in the rotator bar?

Thanks,
    Eric

16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I like the idea of the wrap-around turn signals in the plow, but like you said before that means they are only there for plowing (not sure if you need them for anything else) and also that means an extra wire to connect somewhere when mounting.

Personally, I didn't worry too much about side strobes as during the night, when the vast majority of my work is being performed, the strobe's "light spray" (for lack of a better term) is clearly visible from the sides, plus the rotators are up there. Really the only place I needed some strobes was the rear due to the built in headache bar blocking a portion of the rotator. I was trying to make it obvious to those who pull up behind...

In my case the fronts behind the grille are clearly visible thru beneath the headlight bar, as the upper portion of the grille is wide open for radiator cooling. Works reasonably well there, but like you say, not visible from the side.

My lights are all blue BTW.

Just MO, but doesn't putting strobes in the rotators kinda defeat the point of having both? Maybe not... but it is all still in one place then... so if the rotator is out of their view so is the strobe.

In your case I'd probably opt for the plowlight mount thru the wraparound signals. You could also mount a set in the grille etc. on a toggle switch so you could select one or the other if you need them while not plowing too.

17. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Derek, well I got the subframe fabricated last night, so this morning I was working on trying to figure out the wiring for the plow lights, and I took the plow light assembly apart so I could figure out which wire went where (wiring harness was from a Ford)... while I had it apart I was looking and there was room for the strobe in the amber lense so I went ahead and drilled out and mounted them there. They're not wired up, but they fit fine. I don't think I'm going to have room in my reverse light lenses for strobes, its awful small in there... I don't want to put it in the taillight lense (red) as in the states, amber is the caution color. Red would be legal on private property but i want to keep it so i can back out into a roadway (where strobes are most needed) without getting a ticket..

So I may have extra flood lights laying around I can use the housings to make rear facing strobes on my light rack I'm building.

On my mowing truck I wouldn't mind having strobes in front for road safety (parking on busy road, backing into drive off of busy road, etc) but this truck is for plowing and personal use so I have no other use for strobes on it other than plowing really...

18. THE BOSS 1975

the strobes are switched so yes i can turn front on or off including the rear and plow assembly they dont glare too much

19. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Remote Paks and Kits

What I would do with your truck is...Mount 2 sealed beam Heads on your front Plow bar and 2 of the same on a roll bar or head ake rack
    Ihave a 90 whatt set ordered with 6 sealed Lamps With mounts
    Plus it has 6 dif. Flash patterns
    LETER SNOOOOOOOOOWpurplebou purplebou :D