1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe or Rotating Lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TheBeast, Dec 6, 2001.

1. TheBeast

TheBeast Junior Member

What do u guys perfer, a strobe or rotating light while plowing
    what r the pros and cons of each.
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Rotators are more visable during the day.
    Strobes are "nicer" at night.

Stobes tend to be more $ and they're "cooler".

(Further analysis reserved pending other comments.)
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I like strobes. Rotators make me dizzy. Of course others have said the same about strobes. I guess it is personal choice.
  4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

strobes, they draw less amps.

5. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

I like the strobes, on 1 truck we got has the Whelen 9000 Towmans Edge 62" bar light WOW at night time this thing can be seen long long ways away! The others have regular Whelen strobes. Rotators are more visible during daylight hrs as one said! We went with strobes cause most winter storms up here come in the overnight versus daylight storms!
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

7. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Kent. I use both on all my rigs. Strobes are awesome at night. I plow near busy streets a lot and almost got clipped two years ago using just a rotator at night. However, the rotator is way better durring daylight hours. Go to www.galls.com for municipal quality strobes and rotators.
  8. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I just put in a set of strobes in my 2001 ram and love them. the ones I bought were from nova eletronics. same price as the wellen ($209) but more features and better warrantee! I will have to look up the web site I bought them from....hey I just found it www.sirennet.com. I put these in myself in just over an hour....Be sure to waterproof all of your connections though!
  9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think most states that require a light for plowing require it to be 360 degrees of visible light. Hide-a-way strobes may not meet this. Most are blocked by the plow. I find the strobe light bouncing off the plow to be annoying. I have roof mounted strobes and rear hide-a-ways. These are excellent when working in lots or backing out of driveways.
  10. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I will be using a single beacon light on the roof and a couple hide-a-way strobes in the rear. Be aware that it is against the law in most state to have red and white lights in motion on road. So do not install them in backup lights & brake lights. I think that I mentioned about it in the previous thread that CT18fireman posted above. There should be more info. about it in the previous thread. Both will be connected to my switchpanel which I can just simple turn the switch on and off rather than plugging & unplugging the cord. I agree that rotating beacon lights is better in daylight but at night, wow, strobes really do get attention. I would use both rotating beacon light and strobes at all time when plowing just for added safety. Better to be safe than sorry.
  11. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I have hide-aways in my brake lights, front driving lights and 2 oval strobes on the back rack. i put the hide-aways in the driving lights so if i have the strobes on they won't bounce off the plow. i'm going to get a mag mount strobe for the roof soon.

look on ebay for excellent deals on strobes that beat www.sirennet.com's prices.

12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I like the strobes I have a whelen 8 strobs bar and I love it.Low amp draw and very visable at night.Rotators are good too But I would want a flash rate of about 700 per min.Federal's jet mini bar has that rate if you get the one with the two 95 's on the end and the 175 in the center with diagnal mirrors .either way you will be seen.
  13. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

how about LED's

I prefer rotating lights !
  15. MusGuy

MusGuy Member

Rotating Lights,

On mine, I took a three bulb and put huge Krypton bulbs, it is a scary site....

16. littlerhino

littlerhino Junior Member
    from Mi

Roatators are the way to go i think that strobs make people sick especialy when you have been driving for 24 or 72 hours. Others that i have plowed with have had strobs on there rigs and not have had any problems with them I dont care for them when you are coming up to a gradge door and the tunnel vision starts it like having tracers after a while

17. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I can't stand the meat grinder noise of rotators, the bigger they are the louder they sound. if you have switches for your lights, and your coming up to a garage door, turn the lights off. i positioned my lights int he driving lights next to the headlights because they wouldn't bounce off the plow, and would be the only light in that light as i took the halogen bulb out and put a strobe in.

18. Chloride

Chloride Banned

4 head strobe box with pattern selector .2 in the parking lamps and 2 in the reverse lamps. Looks like sat. nite fever dance floor. Difficult to see at first , but kool. Also legal on private property not street legal. They see you coming especialy when pushing large piles and you cant slow down and lose momentum.They usually freeze in their tracks.And last but not least one on the roof 120 f.p.m..
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2001