1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe or LED Beacon

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by chas4x4, Oct 29, 2012.

1. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

Not sure which one to get what are the benifits of both I have had a Whelen 2022 strobe before want to know if LED would be better

2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Lots of folks love LEDs because they're bright, feature selectable flash patterns and are generally pretty low profile. On the down side, even with prices coming down, they're stupid expensive for a good one and they don't generate enough heat to melt snow and ice.

Strobes are almost as bright, generate enough heat to melt snow and ice and are much less expensive. On the down side, they draw slightly more current.

Halogen rotators are the least expensive, pretty darn bright, easily melt snow and are dirt cheap. On the down side, they draw the most current.

You pick what works for you.

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Since in NJ, it's illegal to use a yellow strobe / light on your truck, unless you have a f-in permit for it, I decided to go simple.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L035UW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I use it only when I'm on someone's property, or backing in and out. As soon as I hit the street to the next job, it goes off.

Cheap, well made, and does the job of letting people know I'm in and out of a driveway.

4. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

Well that is just plain stupid just another money maker for the state.

5. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Ah yes, but if they didn't have the permit requirement, lord knows that every single car and truck in the state would be running around with yellow flashing lights on them causing incalcuable harm to the general population. Why just look at all of the other states (almost all of them) that don't require permits and what's happening there. Um, well, nothing actually. Never mind.

6. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Hey !

Are you calling my state Stupid ?????? :mad:

How'd you know ?

:laughing:

7. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

8. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

I have a LED Beacon Im looking to sell If you want it. It is a magnet mount with around 20' of cord with a cigarette plug with ON/OFF switch. Looking for $35 + Shipping

9. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

not at all,we are all in the same boat.

10. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

I'm a dual rotator guy, i think they are the most visible if ya get a high rpm model BUT like earlier mentioned they draw a lot of power. not a big fan of the led lights i just dont think you can see them very well in the day. just my opinion.

11. Tjlawncare

Tjlawncare Junior Member
    from 56425

??

Do you still have this??

12. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

I do if you would like it send me a PM

13. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Snooki? :waving: