1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strobe or halogen??

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by porabjr, Sep 2, 2013.

1. porabjr

porabjr Member

Looking for a light for my truck. Considering a minibar w/ 2 bulb halogen ($75) or single strobe ($60). Both were used for 1 year. Plan to magnet mount and run off power socket. Suggestions????

2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Mini bar will draw more power but will provide better warning to others, in my opinion. I'd go with the halogen mini bar.

3. integrityman

integrityman Member

I went with the led strobe. Much better visibility. I went with white/ clear.

4. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

If those are your options, I would go with the dual halogen bar. It will provide better warning than the single strobe. The good thing with halogen, is that they do melt the snow off from them whereas strobes (very little heat) and Led's don't (almost no heat).

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well my .02. Halogen light bulbs cost more and some places don't carry them all
    A strobe light can fit just about any manufacture. I.e cut and splice wiring.
    Again my .02

6. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

Finally, a thread I have some expertise about!

Sadly, it really boils down to personal preference and what you want to spend. The halogen will generate enough heat to likely melt snow off, however it will also draw a lot of power and many will blow standard cigarette lighter fuses. They do, generally, provide better warning power than a single strobe.
    A single strobe will draw less power and will usually last longer than the halogen bulbs and rotator motors. They're also quiet so you don't have the constant humming above your head like with the halogens.

My personal favorite is LED. I've been driving emergency vehicles (fire and police) for 14 years and plowing for 13. My truck has all LED lighting. Its a little more expensive up front, but lasts a lot longer and draws next to no power at all, which is handy when running a plow, electric v-box spreader, defroster, radios, and charging the iPad and phone.

Whatever you choose, its better than nothing at all.