1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strobe location question

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by duff daddy, Mar 14, 2008.

1. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

hey guys for as much as i know about automobiles and paint/refinish i know that LITTLE about strobes and that type of this business. my question, to keep my truck with the clean look and not wanting a magnetic dink or bar on top of the truck has anyone ever installed or seen anyone with strobes in their cab clearence lights, if so how did they work? worth the effort?

thanks duffy

2. Lowriderfd44

Lowriderfd44 Senior Member

As far as i'm concerned, something is always worth the effort if you want/like it enough... As for remote strobe bulbs in the clearance lights... i don't think you would have enough room. The strobe bulbs get hot. you could end up melting your light housing.

You may just want to do bulbs in your tail lights/ headlight area and maybe invest in a small slim light for your back window.

3. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

4. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

i havent seen any in person, but I remember someone on ******** had them in all of his trucks. its a neat idea, but I dont know if it would be worth it.

5. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

well the thing is i need some type of lights on the truck i just dont really wanna put a rack on the back and i dont want anything on the roof since i just painted it. so i guess well go from there ill see what i can do with that light from storbesnmore

6. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

heres some more pic's of the Nova LED Hid A Ways

qrfqefd.jpg

W6B_154x154.jpg

W6R_154x154.jpg

W6W_154x154.jpg

W600HARDWARE_154x154.jpg

7. Lowriderfd44

What kind of warning are you looking for? If it's front and back, just go with strobes in the headlight and tail light area. If you're looking for side visibility, (i'm assuming that's your truck as your avatar), perhaps an LED on each of your side mirrors? I know that's a little tacky, lol.

But, you'll get plenty of warning power with strobes in your headlight/tail light. And if you really want more, go with something behind the grill. They even make a license plate bracket for certain LED models. Sound Off LED3 and Whelen Tir3 for example.

Or you could do what i did and put a small LED light in your rear window. The one i bought was a Sho Me slim light. Its about 12" long, 1" high and 1" deep. It's plenty bright even through the factory tint on my back window.

Just some thoughts.

8. Lowriderfd44

Here's the Sho Me light. It's the one on top. The bottom one is one i got off Ebay and i'm trying to figure out which one i want to keep. I'm leaning towards the Sho Me.

Keep in mind, this is through factory tint at night.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i26.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/drumrmanFD/rearlightstintnight.flv">

9. Lowriderfd44

here it is in the day

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i26.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/drumrmanFD/shomelight.flv">

10. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

humm well im looking mores o for the front and rear, side im not to worrie, and yea that is my truck in the avatar. the idea of the mirror isnt bad but htey arent power so i dont have any juice going out there now which kinda stinks for wiring purpose. but like you said i may just do a bar in the rear window and see how that works for the next couple of storms

11. Lowriderfd44

You don't necessarily need power to your mirrors. The truck is the same for the option of power, so the holes would still be there. I'm not positive but you may be able to come up behind your door panel through the holes that are there where the power wiring would've been right to your mirror. hook up your light on the mirror, then run the wires that way. Just a thought.

12. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

ALRIGHT, well with somemore searching i found these led lights that are cab clearance lights which i talked to a tech here and said all i need is the strobe hook up to make them suckers flash www.plasmaglow.com and the y are called skypods led cab lights that i think i can use that set up to make it work....

13. Lowriderfd44

Those look pretty cool. That would solve all your problems. You wouldn't need a strobe power supply, but something like this:
    http://www.florapse.com/Merchant2/m...BL111005&Category_Code=FLASH&Product_Count=18

It's just a small LED flasher. Really easy to hook up, i have one in my truck for my rear window LED.

If you have those lights hooked up to a flasher, I don't think you'd be able to have them on a steady burn, just flashing.

14. CEPropertyMgt

CEPropertyMgt Junior Member
    from N/A

from the looks of your avatar, i would either mount some leds in your toolbox and behind the grill. or for 360 degree i would fab up a pole bracket and mount a strobe off your tool box. front and rear warning is nice and clean looking, but here on construction vehicles, the state requires 360 degrees.

15. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

lowrider, yea i talked to a tech and what i think im gonna do still is that strobe supply for the different strobe pattern, on that site the front and rear led's of thoes lights are on different connections so i can have 2 on one pattern and the other 3 on the front flash different, opposite w/rear of the clearance lights. but yea def an idea of what you said.

ceprop, yea thats a window from the building behind the truck i never noticed that but naw i dont have a tool box, i was thinking about it but if i get one it gonna be in the trail not over. thanks for hte suggestions though!!!