1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by brfootball45, Oct 28, 2009.

1. brfootball45

brfootball45 Senior Member

how you doing guys? i had strobes installed last year in my headlights and rear lights and reverse lights. Recently ive been noticing when i shut off the rear strobes i hear a noise similar to like a firecracker going off. I have checked underneath and wires and havent found anything. does anyone know what it could be:confused:

2. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

h2O

one of your strobes has gotten wet cracked tail lens or something to let water in

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

are your bulbs twist out or pop in? the bulb will have a wire wrapped around the bulb. is it broken? if yes that may be the noise.

4. brfootball45

is this bad for the strobe? i have a feeling the strobe on rear right side is getting wet from where the wires are run up, is there anything i can do to prevent this?

5. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

You can try to dry it with hair dryer then reinstall and seal it with silicone but I suggest new strobe to be safe I have never had luck once they get wet

Do check the wire that was great point

6. brfootball45

i believe they are twist in, the company who installed them recently this past weekend snipped off the stock connectors for the strobes and hard wired each strobe head in the rear with butt connectors and then wrapped each wire with electrical tape. They did this because last winter i had a problem were the rear strobes would get wet and short out the system. They said hard wiring them like this would be a better solution. but ever since they have done it i have been getting this firecracker noise when they shut off

7. brfootball45

yea i will try that, is this common though i have a 95 Ford F350 single cab 8ft bed, and the whole where you run the wires up to the rear lights is a good inch and a half to two inches wide, should i just silicone this whole thing on both sides or is there another way?

8. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

No expert here but from what you say I would shrink wrap the connections you hard wired then just silicone the hole where the strobe goes into tail light

9. brfootball45

will do thanks man for all the help!

10. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

Good luck let us know how t works out