1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Maine_Snowman, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Maine_Snowman

Maine_Snowman Junior Member

What type of strobe lights are you guys running? How much do they cost? Where do you get them?
  2. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

whelen mini edge- $400 invested, sho-me led bar- $400, hidden strobes- $350, whelen dual talen- $250. Will be adding more LEDs are some point soon, bought at a local store, online, classified on here and also local classifieds.:salute: :dizzy: -When people see me coming.
    PS, I live in the country, and when its snowing and people dont pay attention going around a curve at 2am, it pays to have everylight you have one.
  3. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

SHo-Me mini-light bar. Sho-Me 60 watt, 6 outlet hideaway strobe kit. All through E-bay. Total invested, approximately $400
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Rotating beacon - $10. Plugs into cigarette lighter. In Maine, you only need a signal when entering a roadway while in the process of plowing . If you're just going from one site to another, light shouldn't activated. If you're plowing a driveway and enter the street, light needs to be activated.

But if you just like seeing your truck lit up like a Christmas tree and want to spend a lot of money, you can do that too.
  5. jglandscaping

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Same here is Mass- I have a rotating dual beacon from Federal signal ($100 ish northerntool.com) and a small single strobe (target tech which is federal signal about $60 I think) as a backup. I think you can actually get ticketed here for driving with the lights on on the road- creating a hazard to other drivers, unless you're actually pushing snow or hauling a car (for tow trucks).
    I know strobes and hidden strobes have to be certain colors or you can get ticketed- no flashing red, blue or clear/white. They have to be Amber. Lots of plowers/landscapers skirting tickets here for that.
  7. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Dual rotary Whelen beacons and a set of hideaways.
    The laws may not require much for lighting, but I'd rather have more than less. Plowing at 5am everyone is half asleep.
  8. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Where are you from in NH? I am from Moultonborough
  9. jglandscaping

Im from Amherst.:gunsfiring:
  10. basheroffroad

basheroffroad Junior Member

$10.00 junkyard special

full lightbar with 8 rotators off a junked tow truck from the local junkyard. can't miss it and it only cost me $10.00 plus the cost of three new bulbs at $1.50 each!
  11. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Do a search on this site, this gets discussed on this site daily and not to be rude, but we won't have to re-type our response to this same asked question daily. You'll will be amazed at the amount of discussion on strobes, light bars, etc.

Best of luck with your decision.:)
  12. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

maybe alot of use guys, love our lights? Know I do, yes i've spent more $$ then I should have on lights but you know, people can see me comming down the road.. Whelen 9000 Edge 8 Stobe, 2 Flashers, Take Downs, and ally lights > $900.00 + Whelen hide-a-ways in tails and turn lights > $400.00 that means I have around $1300.00 in lights in my truck, and I have two trucks so thats $ 2600.00 in strobes. Is that to much, it depends on what you light.
  13. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

edge 9000 4 strobe, 4 flasher, take downs, alley lights. two Rear facing 4" LED.
  14. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I have a 911EP WD28, LED light bar mounted in the grill between the chrome bars, two led stars under the rear bumber, and one LED star in each corner, front and rear..All operate off a custom flushmount switch box in the dash..Low current drain, and no maintenance..last forever.much safer than corner strobes as they use less current.
  15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I bought a Whelen dual stobe with 2 mirrors usually its over $200 but the guy didn't know what he was selling so I picked it up for $79.95. Every blind squirell finds a nut at some point. lol
  16. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

Anyone who has the Sho-Me LED bar.... how does it compare to a strobe bar of the same price? I have a dual strobe light bar that is great at night... I don't think you can beat strobes at night, but the LED's i see on cop cars these days are bright as anything. What I really like is that the strobes bounce off things at night... I'm not sure the LED's will do the same.

I'm thinking LED's are the way to go b/c they draw less power, but I haven't been able to find a bar that isn't really expensive and bright at the same time. Thanks!

17. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Full fize Whelen edge (4 strobes-alleys-takedowns-4 halagen flashers), hidaways in front turnsignals and a Federal Signal traffic director bar on rear of cap (blocks the lightbar). Might swwm a bit of overkill but I use the truck for other purposes.

J & B
  18. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I used to run a Whelen Edge 9000, had 4 amber strobes with front cut-offs for plowing, other 4 strobes were red for volunteer fire/rescue. Now that I'm getting back into plowing and dont do fire/rescue anymore I can't justify a fullsize bar anymore, but I just scored a minibar on Ebay cheap, its a code-3 420, clear with amber filters. I am so impressed with this little bar! Its got two high speed rotators and it throws more light than any two bulb mini bar I've ever seen! I also got two 15 inch LED strip lights that I'm going to try to mount between the tailgate and the bumper if I can fit them without interference. That way I can kill the roof light if I want and still have some protection backing out in the street.
  19. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

7" rotating Beacon on an aluminum roof mount light bar, ngot ti from the junk yard for $10, and bought a new lense for $27.00
  20. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Whelen 6/90 strobe kit...$250.00, installed myself.