1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strobe lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fisher42, Aug 18, 2004.

1. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

where do u guys mostly mount your strobe lights? Also, does anyone still use revolving lights?

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have a magnetic double strobe
    i put on the roof
    i wired the cargo light with a plug so i can
    control the strobe with the cargo light switch
    john

3. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have mine mounted in the tail lights, plow turn signals and grill. You can also mount in the corner marker lights and head lights in some trucks.

4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Not only do I use 1 revolving light, but I use 7 of them, see below....Rob

Oh ya almost forgot, the two clear lights are fully contolable. I can stop them and aim at will, they are great for finding snowy address on the houses.

dsc0011.jpg

5. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Did you mount the stobes yourself? Were they hard to do and what did you connect to. Fuse box or Battery? Just wondering. Any information would be appreciated

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I personaly dont like strobes for plowing. the strobe flash can bounce off heavy snow and they seem to drive me batty. I prefer rotators or maybe leds for snow removal. JMO

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have a double-rotator assembly magnetically mounted to the roof, the wires are fed thru my cargo lamp to a rocker switch under the dash. I think strobes are cheaper, they definately look cheaper, to me anyways. If I add strobes they will be the kits that mount in the stock turn signals etc.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I use 1 strobe on my roof thats it

9. trukoutftr

trukoutftr Junior Member

if you go with corner and taillight strobes, all you need is a 1" hole saw to cut the hole in the corners or taillights. on some applications, if there isn't a lot of room, you will have to remove your backup light. i had to do that on my wifes supercrew. they aren't that hard to install, took me about 1 1/2 hour to do each truck. i particularly like them for the visability. the best ones to get are made by whelen

10. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

I am using 1 small strobe this year. I am moutning it to a metal pipe that i am going to run off of my tool box.
    Bchlawns

11. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I agree with what rat said....

12. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

That is a great idea!

Im considering a light bar but the truck bairly fits in the the garage as is, and the other truck has a rack, so it has to go in the shop (shop has 8" door)

Id like to turn my clearence lights into strobs. What Im thinking is getting one of the four corner kits for the headlights/tail lights and wireing them in rather then the stock clearence lights. I guess I would leave the center one alone.

Since this is not visable from the rear I think Ill do another set for the tail lights and front turn signals.

Ill see what I come up with next time I go to the trucker store.

13. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have one just like this:
    [​IMG]

It work very well......better than a strobe light IMO

14. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

One Magnetic Quad flash strobe on my roof and amber strobes in my tail/reverse lights.I had enough room where i didnt need to remove the reverse lights.Plan on adding LED lights facing the rear probably mounted on my backrack or inside the rear window.

15. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Plowman03,

This light is this a direct wire or the one you plug into the lighter. I looked on norhern tool.com and they have some thing like that but I also know where I can get one here in town as well.

Thanks,

JP

16. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Originally posted by: VBigFord20

Hey that sounds like a good idea, but im doubting how effective that will actually be. It would be a cool concept though..Rob

17. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I seen that done on a 96 F250 and I have installed them in the cab roof marker lights in a Mack CF fire truck. They looked great. But you only see them from the front.

18. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Check local laws too. Here in Maine the law states at least one (with a minimum size in the law) mounted as high as practical on the vehiclevisible 360 degrees. So, here strobes in the corners don't cover the legal minimum. You can have them but you still need a light up high too. And in Maine it must be amber. A local Fire Department got pulled over and warned that they needed an amber (360) light and that their red lightbar didn't cover it.

I use a Whelan dual rotor mini bar (soon to be mounted on a back rack). I agree with Ratlover, I don't like strobes in my field of vision (especially amber or white - red is ok). They tend to draw my attention (so do lighted bumper guides).

Cheap strobes are cheaper than rotors, good strobes (and the strobe packs) are more expensive. LED's are the most reliable and most expensive.

19. lotsoflights

lotsoflights Member

Hi,
    I have 24 lights on my F550 and looking to put more on it. I have LED's and strobes all over. It is bright. The only thing I didn't put on the truck was a roof light. I was not sure what I wanted to do there. I was waiting to see what came out in LED. I love both styles. The new bigger LED bulbs are nice. Hi power strobes are also nice but take a lot of power...I had some photos of my truck but they are not on this computer.

Craig

20. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Mine plugs in to the lighter just like that one does.