1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe lights?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mjmstaff, Jan 6, 2004.

1. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

I have a duel rotating caution light on my truck but one of the motors turn real slow in the cold weather. I was looking into getting a strobe but I was not sure what all I needed. Does it plug in the lighter like most of the other lights or is there something else I would have to do.
  2. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

You can go that route or have it installed. Either way.

3. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

The ones we use plug into the lighter.
  4. rainair

rainair Senior Member

lights rotating slow

when I spent 10 years in fire service, we used Vaseline in the plate the light spins on
  5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

We have two strobes & two rotating caution lites. All use cig liter plugs. We have had no problems with either.
  6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Strobes give me a headache in a snow storm. I prefer the rotators or if you have money to burn then the led light bars are really the way to go......Just my .02.....Rob
  7. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Check your state & city codes. Some don't allow certain colors. Yellow is the only legal color in NE. so red is out. Personally I don't notice either one. I do prefer the strobe however.
  8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I have a dual rotator that I got from Northern Tool that plugs into the cig. lighter. Never had any problems with it in cold weather. Plus it's magnetic so I can take it off during the off season.
  9. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Won't spin up to speed? Give her a big drink of wd 40. Follow this with a few drops of light, low temp oil. wd 40 will do the job but strips everthing from it including lubricant and leaves a residue. Avoid greases and vaseline unless parked in heated garage and turn on before leaving same. 25 years Fire fighter. Love wd 40.

Sho - me strobe lights are the only way to go!!! They are 230 dollars but well worth it. Let me know I can get some pics and give you my body shop guys # and he can order them for you!!!!
  11. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

Photo's would be great. Not sure what I want yet but they sould cool!!!
  12. accipiter12

I'm gunna put a mini light bar on mine with probably a directional arrow on the back because I want that steel rack that you put right behind the cab. Deck lights would be too hard to see. Although I might put a dash light up front. The installers said LED is much better, less demanding on the truck. I'll also put strobes in the tail light, the back-up part, not the red part.

13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

hey accipiter12, what kind of truck do you have. i want strobes for my trucks tail lights, but couldnt find any to fit in my backup lights. Also what kind of strobes do you have.
  14. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

A standard size strobe light should fit in your tail lights

I order all my strobes and rotators from galls. They are a police supply catalog, so they have many different options to choose from.

I have my rotators mounted to aluminum angle and it pins to the back rack, for quick removal. Had a problem trying to fit in a parking garage before court, and that was the only place to park.
    So I had to take it off in the freezing cold.

I make and wire customer control panels for all the toys, including switches for the following using aircraft switches. Only 2 small cables (irrigation cables) come in the cab. Relays under the hood run the rest.

back up beeper turn off
    rear lights
    spreader lights
  15. accipiter12

04superduty, I don't have a truck yet, I was just talking in the future, like 6 months from now. :eek: But, I plan on getting most of if not all of my lights from Federal Signal Corporation. That's a really good place, most law enforcement agencies use lighting from that company. http://www.fedsig.com/

I want to put a signalmaster on my rack, a highlighter minibar on, and FA6 and FA6-60 for my strobes in the back. All will be permanint except for the mini lightbar. I will also have two work lights facing the rear and a spot light mounted on my driver's side but that's for other uses. It might even be worth it for me to wait till I'm a deputy (and that won't be too long) so that I can get a discount, possibly, :confused: I don't know. The truck will be a F250 4X4 Regular cab. X-cabs are too damn long.

Here's the site for this junk...:drinkup: http://www.fedsig.com/heavyduty/products.html
  16. 04superduty

i have a back rack, with a small light bar, 2 lights facing backwards, and 1 to each side. my back up lights are really small, didnt think there was enough room to fit a strobe light in there. thanks for all the replies. i have a galls catalog and have been looking through it, but most of the strobes need at least a 1" hole. :D :D
  17. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

here's a picture of mine, I have strobes in headlights/parking lights/rear tail lights, seperate yellow strobes in the grill and a Whelan mini strobe light bar, AWESOME, I love it :bluebounc :redbounce
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  18. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I like the rotators but the thing I like better about stobes is they draw alot less power. I have a highlighter bar on my dump and I just order a new stobe bar to replace it(can't remeber what it's called, it's about the same size as the highlighter but with 2 stobe heads that flash instead of rotarors) The new light I ordered draws half power of the highlighter. I also have a Code 3 420 (I think thats what it's called) and that light is pretty good, I have the 420 on my chevy and don't have to worry about voltage as much because it's got a heavy duty alternator and 2 batteries.
  19. jscott

jscott Junior Member

20. 04superduty

eyesell, how do you like the bug deflector. does it keep more snow off your windshield. your truck looks awsome. mine is black with the sport package. does yours have the new 6 liter. luckily i havent had any problems with mine. :D :D