1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe Lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by famouslee99gt, Oct 26, 2011.

1. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

I'm wanting to add some strobe lights to my truck this year, to go in the taillights and front corner lights. What are some quality brands to buy, were to find them and pricing. I've looked on ebay (which have many cheap quality) and researched on Galls.

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

On the tailgate? I assume you mean in the rear lights.
    Whelen is a good brand.
    The nice thing about hIdeaway strobes, is they are inter changeable. I believe I have Able 2 tubes w/ a whelen csp 660.
    I hate it to tell you the truth. The tubes just keep going out. And it's 25$ a tube. I'll be switching over to LED soon. Unfortunately it won't be as bright but it comes with a 5 year warrenty
    Plus the patterns are better and it's easier to sync the lights up.
    also, this is for plowing so unless you are a POC FF, you better not be using these on the road.

3. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I have just converted to LED after having strobes on all of my trucks. They are much more dependable, dont have the wiring issues of the strobes, and have a longer life. Just be careful, in NH hideaways in the taillights are illegal in the red portion of the light, and clears are not allowed either. I use amber in the clear back up light portion of the light, but some trucks only have red rear facing tail lights so they dont work.

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

5. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are on private proPerty, it doesn't matter. Just turn them off before you get on the road.
    I have clear in mine. And the police have seen them. Hell I think FD may have seen them too!

6. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

even if your a policemen, fireman (volunteer or paid) or emt if it is your personal vehicle you are not suppose to have colored strobes.

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Back to the question, you can get a power supply, cables, and tubes (bulbs) for under $200 easily on ebay. Look around in the main ebay section, not ebay motors, and you'll find a bunch of power supplies sometimes as cheap as $30. I'm running a Whelen CPS690 (90 watt), with 4 strobes and it never gave me a problem last season.

best of luck.

8. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Not entirely true. Im a volunteer fire fighter on two departments. We are allowed to run 360 degrees of red warning lights as well as front facing white strobes. We can run white in rear, but only in tail/reverse lights. This is on our personal vehicles. We also run sirens.

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I think he means its illegal unless you are on route to a fire/accident/whatever. Its illegal to just turn on your strobes and drive to get groceries.