1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strobe lights in an 05 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jperry9636, Sep 30, 2006.

1. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

Hi everyone,
    Was hoping you guys could give me some advice where to put the strobe lights in my chevy. Pics would help. Thanks for all your help.

Later,
    Jack

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Jack
    I did my 05 chevy last year, send me a email address and I will email you some pictures. I have 1 in each haedlight, 2 in each taillight. It is very hard to drill that 1 inch hole in the reverse part of the tailight. I drilled mine in the brake light area and the turn signal area. I made a custom plate for the switchs and install them in my overhead consul.

Regards Mike

3. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

4. flykelley

Hi Jack you have mail with pictures.

Good Luck Mike

5. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Hey flykelley, could you email those pics of the strobes to me as well? I have an 03 2500HD that I'm about to do up with Hide-A-Ways and I'd love to have some insight. Thanks.

Oh btw, my email is gearheadx77@gmail.com

6. flykelley

You should have mail with pictures also. The headlight are not the same on the 03-05 if I remember right so I will also send pictures of my 01 which were drilled from the top.

Regards Mike

7. Antnee77

from RI

Actually the 03- headlights are just about the same. 01-02 Chevy headlights were slightly different. I received your email earlier today. I appreciate it, I know they'll help me when I do this install now. Thanks again.

8. flykelley

The main thing when wiring your power pack is to run both the ground and power feed all the way to the battery.

Good Luck Mike

9. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

You can shoot those pics to me as well. I just got my kit in today. Prplayboy01@aol.com

Why wire the ground to the battery?

10. Antnee77

from RI

Yeah, I've read before that you should run both power and ground to the battery, but I never really understood why. Usually you want to ground it as close to the unit as possible.

11. flykelley

I don't have a answer about the ground, I just know when I grounded it to the frame right under where I mounted the power supply the thing would not work. After about 3 calls to whellen tech support the guy told me I had to run the ground all the way to the battery and it work when I did. You have mail

Regards Mike

12. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Cool those pics help. I usually test where i'm grounding to before i ground a wire to it. Chances are you picked a bad ground spot when you were installing. Shortening the ground shortens the electrical loop. I won't get into it but I did see the instructions said to either ground the PS near by or to the battery.

13. Jmac572

Jmac572 Junior Member

Here is the name of a seller on ebay that sells knock off Whelen Talon 2's extremely cheap, I have two of em and and one real talon 2 there is absolutely no difference.. i wouldnt be suprised if theyre made by the same company.. anyway his name is affordableleds

14. Jmac572

Jmac572 Junior Member

strobelightking .. Also, this is the name of an ebay seller that sells knock off TIR3's for around $60 a pair, I also have 4 of these in my grille and again are the same as whelen, my friend paid $175 for a pair of real whelen TIR3's and there is absolutely no difference.

15. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Guys, I stock LED's and strobes. I offer discounts to the members or Plowsite.com. E-mail me direct if interested: rcpd34@aol.com

Brian

16. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

Flykelley, can you email me those pics of your strobe install? That would helpme out a bunch! jmassi820@adelphia.net
    Thanks! :drinkup:

17. flykelley

You have mail

Regards Mike

18. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

Sweet. Thanks a bunch Mike! These pics are going to help! :D :drinkup:

19. flykelley

On a side note when you drill the taillights it is best if you drill in the brake light and taillight part. If you drill a 1 inch hole in the backup part of the light if it is not in the correct spot the bulb will not fit. There are some on this board who have done this, but the worry about drilling the backup light is heat build up and melting yout lens. I myself have not done enough of these to feel comftable drilling into the backup light area. Also the bold that holds the tailgate strap need's to have the end ground down or it will heat the back side of the strobe head. I will try to take some pictures of the tailight and post them for you guys.

Regards Mike

20. flykelley

Here are some pictures of the taillight from my 05 chevy. This is where I drilled a 1 inch hole into the backup area. The strobe head will not have enough room to fit, it hits this bulb so don't make this mistake.

Regards Mike

resized tailight backup bulb.jpg