1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe Light

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Daddy Wags, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Daddy Wags

Daddy Wags Member

I just started plowing last year and was wondering if a strobe is manditory in OH.
  2. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

Here is what the Ohio laws says:

4513.18 Lights on snow removal equipment and oversize vehicles.

(A) The director of transportation shall adopt standards and specifications applicable to headlights, clearance lights, identification, and other lights, on snow removal equipment when operated on the highways, and on vehicles operating under special permits pursuant to section 4513.34 of the Revised Code, in lieu of the lights otherwise required on motor vehicles. Such standards and specifications may permit the use of flashing lights for purposes of identification on snow removal equipment, and oversize vehicles when in service upon the highways. The standards and specifications for lights referred to in this section shall correlate with and, so far as possible, conform with those approved by the American association of state highway officials.

It is unlawful to operate snow removal equipment on a highway unless the lights thereon comply with and are lighted when and as required by the standards and specifications adopted as provided in this section.

(B) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in section 4513.99 of the Revised Code.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

To be safe, I would say at least have one amber light that is visible 360 degrees. Just get a cheap magnetic strobe and slap it up top when plowing.
  3. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Even if it is not required it is a safety item that I think every plow should have.
  4. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Most municipalities require a amber light of some sort on the outside so you can be seen.
  5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Everyone I have seen for the most part have at least a round can beacon. It is definatly safer, and worth every penny if it saves you from an accident
  6. Daddy Wags

Daddy Wags Member

Thanks All. That Ohio code confused me more than I already was. I hear Whelen is good. Any suggestions for a round beacon?
  7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

check out lshlights.com, they have some good lights there. Yes Whelen is about the best you can get, imo. I have a 48" Edge bar on my truck. It has 4 corner strobes, 4 front and rear flashers, and alley lights. But you dont need to get that crazy. Sho-Me, Federal Signal, Whelen are all good choices
  8. Daddy Wags

Daddy Wags Member

Thanks, I'll look into those. Thanks again for the pump referral. He's a good dude.
  9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

No problem!!!!!:waving: Good luck with whatever strobe you get