1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strobe light problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jperry9636, Mar 19, 2007.

1. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

I have a whelen 6 bulb 90 watt kit in my 2500HD. They work great for about 1/2 hour and stop working. Then they work when they want to. Not sure where to start. Thanks for your help.

Later,
    Jack

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Could it possibly be the ground is not getting full contact at all times?? I dont know alot about these things, but am always willing to try and help people in need. Or the controller overheating??

3. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Is this when your plowing?? If so you need to di-electric grease your wires and tape them because they are shorting out cause they are getting wet. The strobe controller shuts it self off for a safety thing.
    Good luck
    James

4. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

yea i would def check the ground my buddy has the same truck as u with the same strobes i have and his do the same thing we r gonna check his out tomorrow

5. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Where is your power supply located? Sounds like it might be overheating. Make sure its not mounted on carpet or covered with a sweatshirt or something.

6. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

It is mounted under the rear seat in a crew cab. Just to make sure it was not getting hot I lifted up the seat so it had all the fresh air in the truck. Going to check the ground hopefully that will do the trick.

Later,
    Jack

7. nisntruckin1365

nisntruckin1365 Junior Member

Did u get it fixed? Any idea what it was?

8. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Yeah let us know. I hate when threads die. Sometimes I feel I want to know the answer as much as the original poster.:waving:

9. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Sounds like it's over heating to me... Lifting up the seat may seem like it has more air, but most likely it doesn't... best test would be to feel it when the strobes shutdown...like Plowfast said make sure it is not mounted on carpet... if it is bolt it down to a nice solid piece of metal/

10. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

Why would it matter if you mount it on carpet, rubber, or metal??? I would think if it was going to over heat it would do it on all the items. Long story short I am going to use some spacer so air can get under the unit and see if that helps.

Later,
    Jack

11. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Jack
    I mounted mine on the floor after I cut the carpet and pad away. Why did I do that, because thats what whellen said to do to prevent overheating. I keep my back seat down at all time's and have never had a problem with overheating. One thing to check is to make sure your ground is run all the way back to the battery per whellens tech support.

Regards Mike

12. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Because in attempts to reduce size and cut cost, they utilize the mounting surface as part of the heat sink...and carper and rubber anr not good conductors of heat. Always follow the mounting instructions...