1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe light law?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bergys, Jan 28, 2005.

1. bergys

bergys Junior Member
    from nj

I was just wondering,how do you find out if your state has a law to have strobe lights if you are plowing? Thanks for your replies.
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

call your state police
  3. ebonang

ebonang Junior Member

Contact you local police department. There should be a copy of the general laws (to include motor vehicle code) somewhere in the PD (usually with the officer in charge). The law book will have the exact law that governs what type of lighting can be used by tow trucks,snow plows, landscapers, etc. It will also tell you if you have to get an emergency light permit from the state before you install lights.

In RI any vehicle that backs into to roadway (ie snowplows) has to have an amber warning light. I stress amber light because some guys that plow with their pick up trucks like to have corner strobes (tail lights, reverse lights, and headlights) installed and they can too often be confused with emergency vehicles (police/fire). The strobes aren't so much a problem during snow conditions, its every other time of the year when the lights can be abused for other reasons.

My choice is an magnetic mount amber light bar for the roof. It provides 360 degree visibility, where corner strobes don't, and it can be easily removed when I am not plowing snow. Not to mention that it plugs right into the cigarette lighter and does not required additional wiring.
  4. PamelaRose

PamelaRose Member

I know in Connecticut a permit issued by your local P.D. is required too .
  5. Exciteable

Exciteable Member