1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe light install question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 4x4Farmer, Oct 18, 2006.

1. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Ok, so I have done a couple of strobe instalations on some of our equipment, and what Im wondering is when you drill the 1 inch hole in your light molding, how do you get all the little plastic pieces from the drilling out of there? I have tried everything from a little piece of pvc pipe on the end of the shop vac to get in there, to just trying to blow them out with the air gun. Theres not much in any of them, but it just kind of pisses me off when I do it. I have a set to put in one of our new trucks here prettty soon, and was wondering if anyone has any tips.:confused:

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Farmer
    I have only done one on my 05 Chevy but I used a air gun and also a shop vac and got it all out, took a couple of try's but it did all come out.

Good Luck Mike

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Shop vac like said above. I kept it running the whole time I was drilling to reduce the amount that would actually get in there.

4. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

i used a hole saw for my holes when i did my install, not much for shavings to worry about that a little shake didnt take care of.

jeff

5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Not to hi-jack your thread but.....................You list that you have a snowbucket for your 310, is it something you bought or something you made up on your own? I have always wanted to something for my 580 & 410E but never have. i would appreciate anything you have to share or offer up!

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A piece of flexible plastic tubing with some upside down V's cut in the end of it. So the vacuum does not make it adhere to the inside of the housing. Neck it down to fit the shop vac with cardboard and duct tape with a few cuts in it so the vac gets enough air so not to overheat quickly.
    Just adjust the cuts with duct tape cover till you get just the right amount of vacuum to do the job. Be careful with the headlight reflectors and lamp holder.

A loop of plastic film ( blue tarp kinda stuff ) firmly attached to regular 12 gage flexible electrical wire. Rub it in your hair to get a static charge and go fishing.
    I didn't pick the name " MickiRig1 " for nothing.