1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strobe light ends

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by flykelley, Aug 10, 2005.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Ok Guys
    Its time to start getting the new truck setup for plowing. Im getting ready to order a whellen 90 watt strobe supply. The cables that come with the kit, do they have the ends on them already or do I have to do that? If I do is it hard? What are the tricks? Any special tools needed?
    Any other advise for me, I have done alot of wiring on cars and planes so I can handle this just looking for tips or things to look for.Any good places to buy a whellen kit?

Thanks Mike

2. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

When I ordered mine I used a place on Ebay. Fire and Safety Outfitters. They had the best price around. Very reliable, and very fast. They usually have 100 or so up for sale. Every dealer around me in NJ was charging double just for the kit. :angry: Just do a search for CSP690. That's Whelen's 90 watt 6 outlet unit. I think it was going for 250.00 with 6 tubes last I checked. The cables did have the connectors on them already. Nothing that you wouldn't already have in your tool box.

The one thing that I am going to change is I am adding a painless wiring circuit boss to help clean things up a bit.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

on mine it had the plastic plug off of it and you had to push the pre terminated pins into that. Made life easy since you could thread the wire into a smaller spot than if the plastic end was on there.

4. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

most kits come with everything you need.

5. flykelley

Thanks Guys
    I will check ebay today, I can't wait to get started. I ordered air bags yesterday for the rears. The Plow is going to get installed after labor day. I need to wire up the switchs for all of my strobes. Alot of work to do yet.

Regards Mike

6. flykelley

Bad Luck
    I just got off the phone with Fire Saftey and Outfitters, and I bought a wheelen 90 watt 6 head unit. The amber bulbs are a extra $10.00 each and the kit comes with 4 bulbs. I still have 2 wheelen clear bulbs which I will also add to the power supply. We are on the way to getting it done.

Thanks Mike

7. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Good stuff brotha!! I was thinking about air bags for the front. Which kit did you get, Firestone?

Where are you mounting your switches?

I am yet to wire everything the way I want too (nice and clean with a switch panel in my overhead console). Right now I just have some velcro stuck on the bottom of my dash with 3 switches attached to it. 1 for the rotator. 1 for the rear strobes. 1 for the front (which I never use). I have relays all over the joint and wires tucked everywhere. I was in a rush to install them as the snow was coming and I wanted to use my new lights before the end of the season!! Hopefully in the coming weeks I will get to clean it all up nice.

Good luck man! :salute:

8. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

heres where my switches are, im getting rid of the push switch because it was for pattern, but i got a different strobe pack with less patterns so im only using one
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  9. flykelley

Hi Bad Luck
    Yes I got the Firestone bags. I want to install my switch's in the center consul or the overhead storage space by the dome lights. will post pictures when done.

Regards Mike

10. ratlover

from IL

I like getting factory switches sometimes ment for other things and using them. The factory blinky light switch used in the plow prep may be a direct drop in your truck? Or the foglight switch assembly if you dont have em? Other ideas for ya.....

11. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Good idea. I'll have to look into that. Clean and out of site is the name of the game when doing it right!!

12. flykelley

Ok Guys the light kit showed up today. First part of next week I will start to install them. Of course when I get it all done I will post pictures. Wish me luck.

Regards Mike

13. flykelley

Rat I love those idea's, I will have to see if I can do any of that. I do like the clean look of factory switch's

Regards Mike

14. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Can't wait to see some pics. I'll have to dig up mine and we'll compare notes!!!! :rolleyes:

15. flykelley

Hi Guys
    I took a look at switch's at work last night, and it appear's they will not work for this. The switch's are molded either as a single switch or a double switch. The plug is a single plug with about 6 pins. I don't know what the pins functions are. They also appear to but to small to handle 15 amps. It now appears that I will have a plate made up the size of either the overhead storage bin or the bin in the center consul. I will then have it powder coated to match the color of the inside of the truck. Will post some pictures when I start to get it set up. Wish me luck.

Regards Mike

16. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Mike - Why would you need a switch to handle 15 amps? Aren't you using relays to turn on the power supply?

17. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

This is very stupid, but what does a relay actually do?

18. flykelley

Bad Luck
    This is the first strobe install that I have done,on my old truck the guy just ran a power feed from the factory switch on the dash and it work ok. I just thought that was the way to do it.

If there is a better way such as using a relay please share it with me, such as which type relay, where to buy them, model and size, and where in the circuit does it need to be. In front of the switch I'm guessing. How about fusing size and placement? I'm all for doing things the right way.

Thanks Mike

19. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Mike,

Check this thread out. I wired mine very similar to this, without the LED's

http://plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=23221

Basically, you run a fused power wire from your battery to the relay Pin 30.
    Pin 86 on the relay connects to a ground source, chassis or battery.
    Pin 87 goes to your Strobe power supply.
    Pin 85 goes to a switch inside your truck. I think my switches pull like 1 or 2 amps.

Each switch will get a keyed, or non keys 12v+ (depending on if you want to be able to run your lights with the truck off or not) and a ground.

This setup will use the switch to turn on the relay which will turn on your power supply.

The relays can be had at radio shack or pep boys.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

This is the original post from Mychevytruck.com where the guy has some pics of his install, check this out too:

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines...id-62601-s-where_have_u_mounted_your_switches

20. ratlover

from IL

Depending on the switch you are correct it wont handle the juice. You may also have to pop it apart and do some tweaking or at least stick an ohm meter on it to see what pin does what. You can buy the new plug that has wires dangling off it most times from chevy also. Gotta use a relay. Some of the switches are momentary so you would need a latching relay. It can get a bit more complicated depending what switch your canabalizing........